Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Tarantula Caresheet

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_15Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_17Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Rear Horned Baboon or African Horned Tarantula (Ceratogyrus darlingi)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Regions Found: Africa, Mozambique and Zimbabwe
Class: Terrestrial. Likes to burrow
Longevity: Medium growth rate
Adult Size: 10 and 13cm
Temperament: Aggressive
Urticating Hairs: No
Venom Potency: Unknown
Ceratogyrus darlingi Housing Requirements
Tarantula Housing: Floor space is more important than height, a deep substrate should be provided for burrowing. A good retreat is required.
Temperature: 24-28°C (75.2-82.4°F)
Humidity: Around 75%
Breeding Ceratogyrus darlingi Tarantulas
Danger to Male: Probable sexual cannibalism

The Horned Baboon Tarantula should be provided with an enclosure of atleast 4 gallons in volume. Vertical room is not really a priority as they prefer to stay at ground level, however, the enclosure should be large enough for you to provide a deep substrate as this species will produce extravagent burrows. Floor space is important to allow places for your spider to explore, and an improvised shelter such as a hollow log or a decorative cave used in aquariums should also be included.

Last edited by Tattoo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 am

Desert Blonde Tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes)

Size : up to 6 inches
Humidity : 60-70%
Temp: 75-80F
Temperament: considered slightly more aggressive than other "beginner" species.
housing:
A small (5-10 gallon) tank is suitable for Desert Blonde Tarantulas. The width of the tank should be two to three times wider than the leg span of the spider wide, and only as tall as the spider's leg span. 3 inches of peat moss, soil, or vermiculite can be used as a substrate. Wood, cork bark, or half of a small clay flower pot can be used for a shelter/retreat. Desert blondes will often dig a deep burrow in the substrate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by kuting on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 am

New Guinea Rust Orange tarantula (selenocosmia dichromata)

Range: Western New Guinea
Habitat: Tropical forest floor.
Size: Medium tarantulas that get about 5-6 inches in legspan.
Attitude: These tarantulas and others of their subfamily are rumored to have stronger than average venom, so prudence is advised. Like a cobalt blue, they are very secretive and defensive. Mine tends to stop moving when watched and readily retreats to her burrow at the drop of a pin.
Dwelling: Burrows in moist soil

Ideal Setup: A container of approximately 3 to 5 gallons filled deep with moist substrate for burrowing and perhaps a shelter. As they are burrowers, depth is actually more important that horizontal "floor room". Like many Asian terrestrials, giving them the proper environment will help them to thrive, but also ensure that you don't see very much of them. Supply a water dish and lightly moisten the substrate once or twice a week or so to keep a good amount of humidity. Keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees F if possible.
Food: Any bugs that haven't been exposed to pesticides (3-5 crickets a week), pinky mice, etc. Be mindful of food remains in such a high humidity environment; remove them promptly to prevent fungus growth.

Last edited by kuting on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 am

Greater horned Baboon (Ceratogyrus sp.)

Range: The Greaterhorned Baboon comes from southern Africa, in Botswana and Zimbabwe.

Habitat: Semi-dry scrubland

Size: Small for a tarantula. Though I have seen specimens at over 5" in legspan, I have successfully bred a female that was a mere 3 1/2" at maturity. The male, which was mostly legs, was about 3" in span.

Attitude: Generally quite defensive, but I have seen some healthy individuals that are much less high-strung than others. I haven't come across a specimen that would sit still for handling and most would bite if provoked enough.

Dwelling: They love to dig, and they like to web even moreso! I've seen sub-spiderlings just past the "eggs-with-legs" stage that began webbing a fair amount. Once they molt into actual feeding spiderlings, there is no end to their webbing endeavors.

Ideal Setup: A 2.5 to 5 gallon container with enough peat/potting soil for digging in (fill it about 4-8 inches deep). Supply a water dish. They like it somewhat dry, but moistening the soil or misting may be appropriate in August/September to mimic the S. African wet season if desired. I've noted that my female will not lay eggs in the summer if the substrate isn't moist. Keep the temperature around 75-80 degrees F if possible.

Food: Any bugs that haven't been exposed to pesticides (3-5 crickets a week for adults); baby mice. Spiderlings love to eat and will take on prey their size quite readily.
Back to top Go down
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

Cameroon Red Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas)

These are "baboon" spiders from central Africa that love to dig. There are several species in the Hysterocrates genus that are all quite similar. H. gigas may range from a rusty overall color to black (they are a beautiful black after a molt and then fade to the rusty color shown at left), and they have long, thickened rear legs. They like to use those legs for digging and will construct deep burrows in captivity.

Range: Central Africa, Cameroon in particular.

Habitat: Tropical forest floor

Size: Not a giant, but a good sized bug that reaches about 7" in legspan.

Attitude: Very shy, but defensive if cornered. H. gigas will come out of their burrows for a hunt at night, but hasten away at the slightest disturbance. Most will sometimes rear up and slap with their forelegs if they can't immediately find an escape route, but would rather flee than bite. This is clearly not a tarantula to handle.

Dwelling: This is a terrestrial spider that likes to burrow. . .a lot! They'll often build elaborate tunnels.

Ideal Setup: A 5 to 10 gallon capacity container with enough peat/potting soil for digging in (fill it about 6-12 inches deep).
These tarantulas really like to dig and may add several tunnels to an existing burrow. Supply a water dish and lightly moisten the substrate twice a week or so to keep a good amount of humidity (60-70% should be adequate to keep them comfortable- mine do fine without strict adherence to duplicating their habitat's humidity. However, I have seen many perch on water dishes and one die when humidity was lower than 50%). Keep the temperature around 75-85 degrees F if possible. Clean up their food remains quickly and watch closely to prevent fungus and/or mites.

Food: Any bugs that haven't been exposed to pesticides

Back to top Go down
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Brazilian Red and White (Nhandu Chromatus)

Range: Brazil
Adult size: 5-6"
Habitat: Terrestrial

Ideal Setup : 5 gallon aquarium with hide, substrate, and water dish. This species tends to be slightly defensive/nervous and will readily kick hairs. Not necessarily one for handling.
Back to top Go down
maister
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
maister

Female
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Ephebopus cyanognathus (Blue fang skeleton tarantula)

The Blue Fang Skeleton Tarantula (Ephebopus cyanognathus) is an exciting species of the Ephebopus genus in the subfamily of Aviculariinae. Their natural habitat is in deep underground burrows that are often constructed with fallen flora and supported by a thick layer of silk spun out to the entrance. The names Blue Fang, Blue Fang Skeleton and Blue Fanged Tarantula came to rise because of the magnificent metallic blue fangs that they boast.

Regions Found: Brazil, French Guiana, Guyana and Suriname
Class: Terrestrial. Likes to burrow
Longevity: Slow growing and they live long in captivity
Adult Size: 10 to 13cm
Temperament: Aggressive
Urticating Hairs: Yes
Venom Potency: Unknown

Housing Requirements
Tarantula Housing: Floor space is more important than height, a deep substrate should be provided for burrowing. A good retreat is required.
Temperature: 22-26°C (71.6-78.8°F)
Humidity: About 80%
Special Requirements: High humidity is critical

Breeding Ephebopus cyanognathus Tarantulas
Breeding Difficulty: Moderate
Egg sac size: 80-110
Danger to Male: Chances of sexual cannibalism are relatively low
Ephebopus cyanognathus Diet
Livefood insects such as crickets, locust, butter worms, meal worms, superworms, houseflies and cockroaches.

Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_15Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_17Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Avicularia avicularia (Araneae: Theraphosidae)
South American Pinktoe Tarantula

Pinktoe Tarantulas are docile, fast moving arboreal tarantulas. They are native to tropical South America: Brazil, Trinidad, Guyana, French Guyana, Surinam, Venezuela, and the Amazon Basin (Fouskaris 2001), and therefore require high humidity. Avicularia avicularia is one of the few tarantula species that can be kept in groups, particularly when they are young (though cannibalism may very well occur). Because Avicularia species tend to climb up, a vertical cage is a must.

Captive Requirements
Housing: Upright cage, taller than wide
Communal: Somewhat
Diet: Crickets, cockroaches, or flying insects
Substrate: Soil, peat moss, or vermiculite
Decor: Cork bark upright against side of cage, water dish
Temperature: 23.9 to 29.4° C (75 to 85° F)
Humidity: High
Temperament: Docile and fast, jumps
Considerations: Good for beginners
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
Vacuum
Super

Super  Moderator
Vacuum

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Brazilian salmon pink birdeater (Lasiodora parahybana)

The Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater is one of the largest tarantula species in the world! This tarantula is an active and robust tarantula species. The Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater is a relatively fast growing species, reaching lengths of up to 6 inches in just 1 year! This tarantula is a very good eater as well, and will rarely turn down a cricket, or any other live food item. You may think that these tarantulas are expensive, or even hard to find, but this is not the case. Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeaters have many spiderlings at a time, sometimes over 2000, which makes them readily available, and inexpensive. Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeaters don't burrow much nor do they make large webs, making them very good display tarantulas. The Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater is the ideal tarantula species for intermediate or advanced keepers, and should be in all serious tarantula collections.

Range:Tropical rainforests of eastern Brazil.

Type:Terrestrial.

Diet:Spiderlings eat pinhead crickets, and other small insects. Adults eat crickets, other large insects, small lizards, pinkie mice, and an occasional fuzzy mouse.

Full grown size:7.5"- 10"

Growth:Fast speed.

Temperature: 75 to 85° F.

Humidity:78 to 82%. All tarantulas that have at least a 3" legspan may drink from a shallow, wide water dish.

Temperament:Semi-aggressive and active.

Housing:Spiderlings can live in a clear plastic deli-container with air holes. Adults can live in a 10 to 20-gallon tank. Floor space is more important than height

Substrate: 3 to 5 inches of peat moss, or potting soil.

Decor:Logs, driftwood, cork bark, etc. make good hiding places. Moss can be added for floor cover.

Other names:Brazilian Salmon Pink Tarantula, Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird Eating Tarantula, Salmon Pink Birdeater, Salmon Pink Bird Eating Tarantula, Salmon Pink Tarantula, Brazilian Pink Haired Birdeater, and Brazilian Pink Haired Bird Eating Tarantula.

Source:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Caresheet   Tarantula Caresheet - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tarantula Caresheet
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3