Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

"Dystocia"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

"Dystocia" Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

"Dystocia" Empty
PostSubject: "Dystocia"   "Dystocia" I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Dystocia (Whelping trouble difficult birth)
by:Dr.Debbie Jensen

When you read this page I hope you understand how serious it is. You may be an alarmist or to relaxed about the whelping process.

You may feel you should do everything in your power to aid a female in whelp like I do,
or you might be those that come from the old school and feel "oh they are dogs they can do it all themselves."

Most of the time they can. This page is about when they cant ... and they need our help.

After you read this page I dont want you to panic and to run to a vet needlessly. I wrote this so you are more prepared.

No matter what happens go by your gut feelings.

Complications during pregnancy and whelping may mean result in a life-threatening
situation to the dam and or the puppies.

Recognizing these early warning signs and knowing what you can do and when its
time to go to a vet for medical treatment will increase the chances of survival
of the puppies and the dam.

Pelvic canal obstruction due to fetal over-size - The dam has failed to progress to second-stage labor (delivery of pups) after 6-8 hours of first stage labor

Uterine Inertia- The dam demonstrates evidence of intense abdominal pain and symptoms indicative of shock such as pale mucus membranes, rapid and thready pulse, sudden drop in body temperature (below the 98oF associated with whelping) or collapse. This is an emergency go to a vet immediately.

Pre-eclampsia/eclampsia - The dam experiences muscle weakness, muscle-spasms, muscle-tremors, or muscle-rigidity, or seizures. This is an emergency go to a vet immediately.

Uterine torsion or rupture -The dam is passing a heavy, persistent flow of fresh blood from the vulva. This is an emergency go to a vet immediately.

Hemorrhage - The dam is passing a heavy, persistent flow of fresh blood from the vulva. This is an emergency go to a vet immediately.

Premature Placental Separation - No pups have been whelped, but the dam is passing thick, black-green discharge from the vulva.

If you see any green discharge BEFORE the first puppy arrives, please call the veterinarian. Green discharge AFTER the first puppy arrives is NORMAL. If your dog strains continuously for one hour and no puppy arrives, please call the veterinarian. A puppy may be stuck somewhere in the birth canal.

Fetal distress - After you have aspirated the throat nose, warmed the pup and it sill doesnt respond get someone to take it to a vet while you finishing delivering the litter.

I had a pup born under the bed. It was cold and lifeless. I warmed it with a hair dryer for an hour. She made it and is living in her new home.

Dont give up on a pup. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com

"Dystocia"
Page 1 of 1