Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Hedgehog FAQ(s)

Go down 
+6
reizelle09
KILLEDCULTURE
Astro7
Yhanzdcreptiles
Exotic1
Zerobyte
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Zerobyte
Zerobyte

Male
Location Tandang Sora Q.C

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Hedgehog FAQ(s)

Prepare a Cage

a.) I suggest a plastic bin cage, much easier to clean and lightweight and the size ofcourse we would like our hedgehogs have enough space so it depends on you, for me i use L-45cm W-29.9cm H-16.5cm, and put a proper ventilation cut open the cover and put some chicken wire. And prepare a cage for each hedgehog that you own.

b.) Choose a bedding it can be kusot[woodshavings with no wood dust] some use papers strips. This can help absorb the smell of the urine and feces and it would be less messier.

Choosing a Hedgehog

a.) when buying hedgehogs from a breeder i suggest you visit the breeder's herd, it is much better, why? it is simple you can check the environment of the hedgehog you are buying and you can see it walking around, you can see easily the deformities and other possible problems and the best thing you can choose from the hedgehogs available

Hedgehog Diet and Nurtrition
a.) it is a good idea to limit protein percentages to around 30 percent, fat percentages to below 15, and fiber to 15 percent or higher and all natural,, but here mostly we feed them Cat foods specially Iams,,

b.) some give multivitamins mixed with their water but take note you should change their water within 24hours if not consumed

Breeding

a.) 6-7 months would be the best age to breed. they don't heat Ovulation is induced by male. Just put the female in the cage of the male and wait until they do their thing. Some put the hedgehogs together until they see them do their thing, some one week and some two weeks straight, it all depends on you, if your confident that your male hedgehog has a very strong sperm and once see they do it, it is fine.

b.) They have 35 days gestation until hoglets are born.

c.) Prepare the nest box a week before expected due date and clean the cage

d.) If the food you gave the night before the expected date is not moved and you can here some chirping sounds then hoglets are born, it is best not to disturb the nest box, you can try peeking at the nestbox through the opening to confirm but you must be very careful not to stress out the mother or you can lure her out by putting a treat.

e.) Don't open the cage or disturb it very often because it will end up on dead hoglets im sure you would'nt like that.

Confirming Pregnancy this is very hard and unsure on hedgehogs but here are some signs that might tell us if the hedgehog is pregnant or not:

a.)Weighing
Weigh the female hedgehog before giving her a date with the male hedgehog and if she gains more than 50grams she might be pregnant

b.)Diet
She would be eating and drinking more than her usual food/water intake.

c.)Smell
The smell of her urine and feces would be much stronger

d.)Nipples
Her nipples would be more obvious, grow bigger and would be more pink or reddish

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OATMEAL BATH by kpoo of (censored)
oatmeal baths are very safe and beneficial to hedgehogs who is under quilling stage which are prone for dry and flaky skin. dermatologists also recommend this to its patients with skin disorders. is soothes the skin promise!!!

here are the illustrated instructions to the oatmeal bath

1. buy a ready to cook not instant oatmeal. any brand will do. the price for this brand is only less than 40 pesos. if you
have 4-6 hedgehogs a 500g will lasts more than a month if you bathe your hedgies in a weekly schedule.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
half cup of oatmeal is enough for two hedgies.

2. look for an old foot sock (wag lang yung butas butas na!), lagay niyo lang yung oatmeal then buhol yung end.

3. soak it for a minute or two in clean water, then squeeze until the water becomes milky. then set aside.

4. clean your hedgie with clean water. used a sort toothbrush for scrubbing the quills.

5. pour the oatmeal "juice" to the hedgehog. let him/her soak for about 2 minutes. quick rinse with clean water.

6. let you hedgie snuggle in a towel to dry.

this method really helps hedgies that turns into huff ball when quilling. it soothes their skin and relaxes it from stress during quiling. this can also becomes a bonding time for you and your hedgies.

it is important to let your hedgies to completely dry before putting it back into its cage especially if you are using wood shavings as substrate.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Exotic1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exotic1

Male
Location Quezon City

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Bro musta? nice info....... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zerobyte
Zerobyte

Male
Location Tandang Sora Q.C

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 pm

maayos naman paps,, andun sa eb namin ng PEHS sila sir tatoo, hindi ko maala yung iba
Back to top Go down
Yhanzdcreptiles
Super

Super  Moderator
Yhanzdcreptiles

Male
Location City of Manila

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:59 pm

nice info sir. very informative keep it up!!!!

thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://yhanzdc86.multiply.com/
Astro7
Pet Master
Pet Master
Astro7

Male
Location Valenzuela

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Question, planning on buying/keeping (a) hedgehog, nabasa ko na ok lang sila mag-isa, no pair, no same sex companion, good na ako dun, kahit 1 muna keep ko, anways, tanong ko is tungkol sa temperature, ano ang kailangan ko i-prepare or i-provide para mag-raise ng temp sa enclosure/cage nila? naka aircon kasi dito at baka maging malaking issue sa kanila yun. thanks!
Back to top Go down
KILLEDCULTURE
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
KILLEDCULTURE

Male
Location MANILA

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Galing nakakatuwa ito. Plan ko din mag keep ng hedge sooner, Anyway mukang walang active dito! Walang pwede guluhin at tadtarin ng tanong bounce
Back to top Go down
reizelle09
reizelle09

Male
Location laguna

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 2:27 am

dme ko nakuha d2 bgo information!! Smile) newboie ln dn po aq planning to buy hedgeghog Smile) keep it up sir!
Back to top Go down
Mutia.Jeo
Mutia.Jeo

Male
Location Cebu City

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

nice info! applause nag plaplan din akong mag keep nito Smile btw, ano ung pinakacute na variety nang hedgies? at ano rin ung pinakamura? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Irtwisted
Irtwisted

Female
Location Marikina

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Wow. Thanks for the info on oatmeal bath. Very helpful. Will try this with my baby girl Regina. applause
Back to top Go down
dlonelyboy
Pet Legend
Pet Legend
dlonelyboy

Male
Location Carpentaria

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Mutia.Jeo wrote:
nice info! applause nag plaplan din akong mag keep nito Smile btw, ano ung pinakacute na variety nang hedgies? at ano rin ung pinakamura? Laughing

pinakamura i would say the albino variety.. i got mine at bargain price of 1k only and it's an 11-month pair back then. 1 year old na sila ngayon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IamJeremiah
IamJeremiah

Male
Location Cavite

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 am

nice info sir. lalo kong nagustuhan na talaga mag alaga ng hedge. hanap muna ng swak sa budget.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hedgehog FAQ(s) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ(s)   Hedgehog FAQ(s) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hedgehog FAQ(s)
Page 1 of 1