Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Spotted Gar spp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CAPRICORN07
CAPRICORN07

Male
Location Manila, Philippines

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Alligator Gar
(Atractosteus spatula)
The alligator gar is a much misunderstood sport-fish in America, it being the second largest freshwater fish here. There are very little true things that are in print about these javascript:emoticonp('thumbs up')great fish -
they are a very long lived fish, with no natural predators except man.
They grow very fast in the first 1 to 2 years being able to obtain weights up to 20 lbs the first year, after this spurt of growth they slow down and grow all the rest of their life,
with life spans being upwards of 75 years.
They will feed on anything from birds, to fish with anything in between being taken.
They are at the top of the food chain in their environment, and they are also very fast,
hunting type fish, not a lay in wait type of fish.[list][*]Spotted Gar
(Lepisosteus oculatus)
Shortnose and spotted gar are gar of the same habits.
They stay primarily in shallow water in the lakes,
and they feed on minnows and other small fish.
They can be caught best at night in shallow water fishing under a float.
These gar have a maximum size of about 14 lbs with most being 3 to 6 lbs.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Golden gar spp. Longnose Gar
(Lepisosteus osseus)
The Longnose gar is one of our most prolific species of gar.
They are in almost every river and lake system in Texas.
Maximium size is around 80 lbs - most being around 3 to 4 feet in lenght,
with weights of around 20 to 40 lbs.
These fish are fairly easy to catch with live or cut baits.Shortnose Gar
(Lepisosteus platostomus)
Shortnose and spotted gar are gar of the same habits.
They stay primarily in shallow water in the lakes,
and they feed on minnows and other small fish.
They can be caught best at night in shallow water fishing under a float.
These gar have a maximum size of about 14 lbs with most being 3 to 6 lbs.Hybrid Gar
(Atractosteus/Lepisosteus spp)
Theres also a hybrid gar that is a cross between the longnose and the alligator gar. They live primarily in the Trinity river, and have caught gar up to 90 lbs. The biggest was 65 lbs. this is one of the hardest gar to catch of all the species. Gar, any of several large North or Middle American fishes of the genus Lepisosteus, in the family Lepisosteidae. Gars, which are related to the bowfin in the superorder Holostei, are confined chiefly to fresh water, though some of the eight or so species descend to brackish or even salt water. They frequently bask like logs at the surface in sluggish waters and commonly breathe atmospheric air. Their jaws and face form a sharp-toothed beak, and their bodies are encased in an armour of diamond-shaped, thick, enameled (ganoid) scales. Lepisosteus osseus, is the most abundant. It grows to about 5 feet (1.5 meters) long. The shortnose gar (L. platostomus) and the spotted gar (L. oculatus) are smaller, usually about 3 feet (0.9 meter) long. The alligator gar (L. spatula), which can be up to 10 feet. This species of the gars, the Alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula) can attain an astounding length in the wild. On average, gars can attain a length of not less than 70 cm in captivity. They are aggressive fish by nature, however, they are also frightened easily.

These fish are generally piscivorous in the wild, but will take a variety of meaty foods in captivity. Therefore, a strong filtration system must be ensured for a healthy gar tank.Housing a 6-inch gar may require at least a 50-gallon tank with width of 12 inches. As the gar grows, it must be moved to a larger tank. The tank length to house a sub-adult gar should be at least 72 inches, but longer is even better. The width of the tank should not be less than 36 inches. (otherwise, the gar may feel uncomfortable making turns while it swims) A minimum of 24 inches of water depth will suit the gar well. Gars are strong jumpers, hence the tank lid should be weighted down.

Gars are hardy fish. They have the ability to breathe atmosphere air by means of vascularised gas bladder that act as lung. They are generally peaceful, usually keeping to themselves and not disturbing others. Hence, if space allows, they can be kept in a group. Large gars are capable of inflicting a painful wound. If possible, try not to handle them with bare hands. Always use a net. This fish are kinda exotic and cute when they're young. If ur a begginer and you dont wanna have a problem in near future, DONT BUY THIS fish. They grow faster than arowanas. Considered MONTER FISH!!!!! I have a friend in bulacan, his feeders for his gars are sub adult chicks. They're reallly carnivores like snakeheads or CHANNA spp. This fish can be kept in community with other species that cant fit to their mouths such as Pacus, Arowana, snakeheads, large oscar, large hammerheads etc. Basta ndi kasya sa bibig nila pwede at wag gugutumin. HAPPY FISH KEEPING! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
jet_gochingco
jet_gochingco

Male
Location Novaliches Q.C.

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 am

share ko lang po yung alligator gar ko more than 1ft in length same with my clown knife fish binubully pa minsan ng knife yung alligator gar mabait po siya be careful lang when handling the gar sobra sharp ng scales niya I remember nung una ko sila pinagsama kinagat ng knife yung gar tapos pumitik yung gar both have minor injuries yung gar nachip konting fins niya yung knife nagkaroon ng small incision sa may hump niya caused by the sharp scales ng gar pero now ok na po sila friends na minsan nga caught the knife lifting the gar hangang umabot sa level ng water line. tag team din sila kung kumain taga habol yung knife ambush naman yung gar
Back to top Go down
sircris0328
sircris0328

Male
Location Pasig City

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Nice info sir.... il try to take a recent pic of my 2 gars & il post it here..
Back to top Go down
jet_gochingco
jet_gochingco

Male
Location Novaliches Q.C.

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
felmor
Global

GlobalModerator
felmor

Male
Location Anywhere would you would be

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 am

jet_gochingco wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

hello jet_gochingco, I edited your post.

13. Do not use the discussion forums to advertise or promote a sale or service.

please have time read the forum rules and regulation before anything else, a link can be found on my signature.

thank you.
Back to top Go down
CAPRICORN07
CAPRICORN07

Male
Location Manila, Philippines

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Ready cant help reading this page. Yesterday ive'd been in cartimar. Dme pdin pla nag aalaga ng gars s panahon ngaun. Laughing Enjoy nyo lng po un hobby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spotted Gar spp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spotted Gar spp   Spotted Gar spp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotted Gar spp
Page 1 of 1