Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg

Go down 
+7
kingky
santa
RVL Kennel
archer
lemuel0909
aldino
Tattoo
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_15gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_17gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Empty
PostSubject: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
As you can see from this picture, we use Perlite as an incubation medium. You can also see that there are no air holes in the servin’ saver. We will go into more of that later.

If you are wondering why the eggs are all dirty looking, it is because we use moist Vermiculite in all of our egg laying chambers. We have found it to be the best lay-box medium.

The next thing we need to do is figure out the proper way to provide the right amount of humidity for the eggs to hatch in. I incubate the eggs in a Perlite to water ratio of – 1 part Perlite to .8 parts water by weight. You will need a Digital scale to do this.

It has a capacity of 200 grams, and a readability of .1 grams, which makes it pretty accurate. You do not have to have one that is this accurate, but it is helpful if you are able to tare out the scale. We will go into more of that soon.

The picture below, shows the servin’ saver on the scale. We must tare out the scale to show zero weight. If your scale does not tare, you will need to weigh the servin' saver. This one weighs 61 grams.

The next thing we will do, is fill the servin' saver about 2/3rds full of Perlite, and place it back on the scale. (I would like to add a quick note here about the Perlite we use. I purchase it in four cubic foot bags from a garden. DO NOT USE Perlite with fertilizer that will promote mold growth in the very humid incubation environment. The mold will attack your eggs and kill them.)

As you can see, it weighs 58.6 grams. If your scale does not tare, it will weigh 119.6. In that case you will have to subtract the weight of the servin' saver (61 grams), from the total to come up with the 58.6 weight.

We will now multiply 58.6 grams times .8, and come up with a total of 46.88 grams. This is the amount of water that will be added to the Perlite.

If we add 59.6 and 46.8 together, we will come up with 105.4 grams. When we start to add water to the Perlite, this is the figure we will end up with. If your scale does not tare, your total will be 166.4.

I use a regular plant mister to hydrate the Perlite. I start at the top, and I mist all parts from top to bottom and then back and forth. I try to mist the whole top layer of Perlite evenly.

I keep on doing it till the scale reaches 105.5 (or 166.4 if your scale doesn't tare). The water will sink down into the bottom layer of the Perlite, and will never need to be re-hydrated again.

You are now ready to put your eggs in. I start at the top of the box and make sure they are tight enough so that four of them will fit across. I dig a small hole, and then put the egg in it. I then put a litle bit of the Perlite around the egg to ensure it doesn't move.

You are now ready to cover them. I mark the kind of Eggs they are (in this case they are Carrot-tails), and mark the date the first eggs were laid. Since there are no holes in the servin' saver, once they have been hydrated they will never have to be done again. What I do is open the boxes once a week for air exchange, and then cover them back up. With this method, you do not have to add water to the incubator either. The Perlite will release the proper amount of humidity.

They are now ready to go into your incubator.

You may have noticed the black marks that are on top of the eggs. Let me tell you why I do this. Once an embryo has started to form in the egg, it is very important that it is not moved. If it is, it can literally drown in the egg. To make sure that this does not happen, last year I started to put a small mark on top of the eggs when I found them in the lay box. I use a black fine point Sharpie to do so. You can see the uncovered eggs in the picture below.

This way, even if a new hatchling dislodged the egg from it’s original place in the incubation box, I would know which way to put it back in. The pictures below will show you what I mean.

In this picture the new hatchlings have dug up the incubation box.

This picture shows what it looks like after I have removed the new hatchlings. Note that a few of the eggs are out of place, and have no marks on top. If they were left like this, the embryos inside of the misplaced eggs would surely drown.

In this picture I have put the eggs back in the box, in the correct orientation. Hopefully I found them in time, and they all will hatch.

Most of our eggs are incubated to be Females, so instead of using an incubator for them I just keep them on a shelf in the Reptile room. I keep the room at a temperature between 79 - 82 degrees, which is the perfect temperature to produce Females. To produce Males, I use Hova-Bator incubators. I set them to a temperature of 87 - 88 degrees, which is the perfect temperature to produce Males.

I use a digital thermometer to calibrate the Hova-Bator. The one I use is a Taylor THERMO-HYGRO . One good thing about this model is that it gives you the Minumum and the Maximum temperature.

You can also use the thermometer to calibrate for Females at a temperature between 80 - 82, or at a temperature of between 84 - 86 to produce a mix of both sexes.

In the picture below I have the Minumum Temperature.

In this picture the incubator is at its highest temperature.

In this picture it is the correct 87 degrees.

Hopefuly this will get you started and
I wish everybody a great breeding season.

Last edited by Tattoo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
aldino
aldino

Male
Location San Pablo City Laguna

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 pm

grabe kahit lag..

Smile)

nice toh
Back to top Go down
lemuel0909
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
lemuel0909

Male
Location cabuyao laguna

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 pm

nice info,,
sarap magbasa kahit wala pa ako nito,,haha
Back to top Go down
http://lemuel0909.myadpost.com
archer
Pet Master
Pet Master
archer

Male
Location Singapore

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

drinks wow da best, lupet, galing kumpleto rekados dito lang yan sa pep applause with calculation pa astig
Back to top Go down
http://rnelng.multiply.com
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_15gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_17gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_10
Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 7:55 am

Para sa mga brothers in arms natin yn na ngaalaga ng lg thumbs up
Back to top Go down
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 am

nice infos sir thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:38 am

Para malaman nla panO mgpalaBas ng fEMAle, male n mix gender Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 5:36 pm

Here is a chart of the age and amount of the eggs laid.
Years - Eggs
1---------0
2---------8
3---------12
4---------16
5---------14
6---------10
7---------10
8---------8
9---------6
10-------4
11-------4
12-------0
13-------0

even though there is a chart it doesnt mean all female lg will lay eggs according to the chart. It still depends on your female gex on how you feed them and how you care for them. The healthier the better thumbs up
Back to top Go down
archer
Pet Master
Pet Master
archer

Male
Location Singapore

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 am

idagdag ko na din sir tatts

How to 'candle' an egg.

Candling refers to the process of illuminating the contents of an egg. It's a relatively simple process. Here we are using a commercially available egg-candler, but a small penlight type flashlight will suffice. This can be done on eggs from about two to four weeks of age. A few tips: Keep the egg in it's normal upright position and don't overheat it with the light bulb! A few seconds is long enough to see what you need. So if you just can't stand it, you can have a look inside...

A healthy egg will glow a rosy pink, as you see here (Fig. 9). The presence of blood vessels developing under the surface of the egg (arrow) is a sure sign that the egg contains an embryo. It's busily developing these veins to carry nutrients from inside the egg to inside it's rapidly developing body! An infertile egg will usually be a yellowish color, or may be nearly solid looking dark inside if it has begun to decompose. Don't confuse this with an older egg which is filled with a developing baby! The egg must be young for candling to work.

Hatching eggs.

You don't have to do a thing. They know how. If you are lucky, you'll get to see it (Fig. 10) - but most times you look in and nothing. An hour later, you look again and two babies are running around in there. Pretty cool stuff.

We setup fresh babies in simple shoebox style cages and don't bother feeding them for three to four days until they have shed their first skins. After that, it's a few 1/3 grown crickets and within a couple weeks you have strong and fat little geckos!

Last edited by archer on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:17 am

Very nice info bro! Keep it up, thanks! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
archer
Pet Master
Pet Master
archer

Male
Location Singapore

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Quote :
Very nice info bro! Keep it up, thanks!
hehe ni research ko lang po yan sir tatts sabi mo kc after a week check ko yung egg e di ko alam kung papaano procedure ng candling and post ko na din d2 para sa mga ibang nangangailangan. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:06 pm

archer wrote:
Quote :
Very nice info bro! Keep it up, thanks!
hehe ni research ko lang po yan sir tatts sabi mo kc after a week check ko yung egg e di ko alam kung papaano procedure ng candling and post ko na din d2 para sa mga ibang nangangailangan. Wink
parang egG lng ng birds yan hehehe
Back to top Go down
santa
santa

Male
Location montalban,rizal

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 pm

nice info mga sir very helpful lalo na sa mga gaya kong nag plan mag bred ng lg
more power po sa pep san lumago ito na kasama ako santa
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Tnx santa! Lets help each other to build dis site so we can post more info n exchange our knowledge drinks
Back to top Go down
santa
santa

Male
Location montalban,rizal

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

yes sir no problem maasahan nyo ako tulong tulong tayo santa
Back to top Go down
kingky
kingky

Male
Location Novaliches QC

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 am

UP this topic. very infomative.
Back to top Go down
hudapak
hudapak

Male
Location bulacan

PostSubject: re: How to Incubate Leopard Gecko Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 pm

up!nice info definitely I'm gonna get my 1st leopard gecko now!!!
Back to top Go down
iamn0thing
iamn0thing

Male
Location Parañaque City

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm really excited to start breeding my leos.

Got a Male more than a year but my female is just only 8 months old with 50grams in weight.

Antayin ko pa ba mag 1 year old? mag 55 grams? Or umpisahan ko na?

Thanks

Sorry if this is Off topic for you guys.

Back to top Go down
http://iamn0thing-my365project.blogspot.com
felmor
Global

GlobalModerator
felmor

Male
Location Anywhere would you would be

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 2:57 am

boss tats, indi po kaya masyadong malapit yung eggs sa isa't isa? Very Happy

mas maganda yata mas malayo kesa jan tama po ba? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
m0nding
m0nding

Male
Location Bacoor, Cavite

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

From Albey's Reptiles.

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg   gecko - How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Incubate Leopard Geckos Egg
Page 1 of 1