Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Day Geckos as Pets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Day Geckos as Pets Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Day Geckos
From Lianne McLeod, DVM

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Day Gecko Species Information:
Day geckos belong to the genus Phelsuma. Day geckos area actually a group of over 60 species, which vary in size, appearance, and habits.

Which Species of Day Gecko to Get?:
These are not good geckos for beginners. For owners with no experience with day geckos, "Leaping Lizards Day Geckos" recommends giant day geckos, gold dust day geckos, or lined day geckos.

Day Gecko Habits:
The are active during the day, unlike most other geckos (hence, the name). They are generally fairly fragile and it is not a good idea to handle them as their skin is quite delicate. They can be quite territorial and sometimes need to be housed singly.

These geckos are excellent climbers - their toe pads have tiny filaments (setae) that allow them to cling to almost any surface, so can climb glass wall, ceilings etc. Watch for escape artists, though!

Cages for Day Geckos:
The exact cage set-up and environment required will vary a bit with each species. As a general rule, day geckos need a tank that is tall with branches to climb. Stalks of bamboo can be placed in the tank, along with branches or live plants (snake plants, bromeliads, other tropical plants). Lots of cover and hiding spots should be provided to make the geckos feel secure. A substrate peat moss, potting soil (no vermiculite) or orchid bark can be used.

Temperatures and Humidity:
Again, exact requirements vary with species, but generally daytime temperatures run between 80-89 F (27-31 C), with a drop to 70-80 F (21-27 C) at night. All day geckos need fairly high humidity, ranging anywhere from 50% all the way up to 85% depending on the species. Use of live plants and a proper substrate will help maintain humidity levels, along with misting of the tank.

Lighting for Day Geckos:
Day geckos need exposure to ultraviolet light, so UVA/UVB emitting reptile bulbs will be required. An incandescent light can be used to provide a basking spot. If more heat is needed, ceramic elements or undertank heating can be used.

Feeding Day Geckos:
Insects make up the bulk of a day gecko's diet in captivity, although some with eat some fruits such as papaya and mango or even fruit baby food. They should also be supplemented with a vitamin supplement with calcium and vitamin D3 (no phophorus).
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
archer
Pet Master
Pet Master
archer

Male
Location Singapore

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 am

wow Shocked astig ng color nito sir ah!
Back to top Go down
http://rnelng.multiply.com
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Male

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 am

archer wrote:
oo nga sir kala ko nga laruan eh Smile
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Day Geckos as Pets Medal_15Day Geckos as Pets Medal_17Day Geckos as Pets Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Pwde b yan xbreed sa lg? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Male

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 1:15 pm

archer wrote:
oo nga sir kala ko nga laruan eh Smile

Last edited by RVL Kennel on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Male

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm

_Tattoo_ wrote:
Pwde b yan xbreed sa lg? Very Happy
leopard day gecko hehehe.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lendz
lendz

Male
Location Quezon City

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Had one of this before. Ganda nga neto alagaan. It had a price tag of 2500 before.
Back to top Go down
jhanjhani8
jhanjhani8

Male
Location balagtas bulacan

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm

wow ang gandang creature nito...

may alam ba kayong nagbebenta nito na pair .... ?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Day Geckos as Pets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day Geckos as Pets   Day Geckos as Pets I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Day Geckos as Pets
Page 1 of 1