Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vhaby04
vhaby04

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_11
Female
Location sta ana manila

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Empty
PostSubject: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 pm

What are Ear Mites?

As the name suggests, ear mites are a tiny spider like parasitic mite that infect the ears of dogs and cats. They usually live in the ear canals but can live on other parts of the dog or cat's body. Ear mites are the most common cause of ear infections seen by vets. They are more commonly found in cats than dogs but are a considerable cause of ear infection in dogs too.

Ear mites thrive in the warm moist area where the air flow is restricted. They feed on epidermal debris & ear wax. They burrow into the ear, causing inflammation and irritation which the body responds to by producing more wax.

What are the Symptoms of Ear Mites in cats?

Ear mites are terribly uncomfortable for your cat. Imagine how it would feel having thousands of little bugs running around in one of your most sensitive areas. Usually the first symptom you notice will be your cat scratching his ears or shaking his head due to the extreme itchiness that the mites cause.

You may notice that your cat's ears appeared flattened or laid back. His ears may be painful to touch and he may cry in pain when you touch them or while he is scratching them. You may also notice a foul odor coming from the ears.

Cats may cause damage to their ears by scratching them. Often their ears will bleed as a result of this. They may also shake their ears with such intensity that small blood vessels are broken and hematomas form.

If you have a look inside the ear of an infected cat you will see dark reddish brown or black debris throughout the ear canal which has been described as looking like coffee grounds. This debris comprises of ear wax, blood and Ear mites are visible to the naked eye and can be seen as white dots among the dark debris. You may even see them moving around.

Your vet will look in your cat's ear with a magnifying instrument called an otoscope and may inspect the debris from the ear under a microscope for a more definite diagnosis. Ear mite infections can be serious if left untreated resulting in damage to the ear canals and eardrums and leaving deformity of the ears and possible deafness.

Secondary bacterial or yeast infections are also common so it is important to consult your veterinarian.

Treatment of Ear Mites. How Do I Get Rid Of Ear Mites?

You can purchase ear mite treatments from your usual pet supply store or your vet will prescribe an oily insecticide to clean the ear canals. All ear exudate has to be cleaned from the ear canal daily. The medication should massaged deeply into the cat's ear taking care to get into all the nooks and crannies of the ear canal. It is important to follow your vets or the products instructions for the application of the treatment as you need to beat the ear mite's life cycle.

Revolution is another option. It is a Parasiticide that is applied to the skin of cats six weeks of age and older. Revolution is used to prevent heartworm disease, kills adult fleas and prevents flea eggs from hatching and treats and prevents ear mite infestation.

Your cat might also require antibiotics for secondary infections.

Are Ear Mites Contagious?

Ear mites are very contagious and can be passed on from cat to cat or cat to dog and visa versa so it is important to treat all of your pets at the same time.

Can Humans Catch Ear Mites?

No, humans are not affected by ear mites.

Back to top Go down
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 pm

very nice info.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_15 Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_17 Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 am

Informative! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
ghracey
ghracey

Female
Location Fairview Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Yung revolution ba same ba sila ng effect ng frontline? or magkaiba?
Back to top Go down
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 pm

ghracey wrote:
bagong gamot po ba yang revolution?kakatakot yung name... Laughing advocate tsaka frontline pa lang po kasi na try ko.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
lemuel0909
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
lemuel0909

Male
Location cabuyao laguna

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 pm

advocate nbasa ko mgnda daw and frontline sabi ok dn daw revolution,,
pero never ko pa nagamit lahat,,haha,,
hirap siguro linisan tenga ng pusa kalmot aabutin,,haha
Back to top Go down
http://lemuel0909.myadpost.com
ghracey
ghracey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 3:06 pm

^hindi lemuel parang aso lang parang nakkiliti sila hindi ka nila kakalmutin pero para sigurado trimm mo na rin mga nails nila
Back to top Go down
lemuel0909
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
lemuel0909

Male
Location cabuyao laguna

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 4:51 pm

ghracey wrote:
^hindi lemuel parang aso lang parang nakkiliti sila hindi ka nila kakalmutin pero para sigurado trimm mo na rin mga nails nila

dba nails nila parang kay wolverine naka tago,,
my pusa kasi kami dati hinihila ko yung kuko baka mngagat cguro pag gnupitan,,haha
Back to top Go down
http://lemuel0909.myadpost.com
vhaby04
vhaby04

Female
Location sta ana manila

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:05 am

ghracey wrote:

same lng din cla.. kya lng ung revo mern pa s earmites ang frontline wl e..
Back to top Go down
vhaby04
vhaby04

Female
Location sta ana manila

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:06 am

Tattoo wrote:
Informative! thumbs up

ty kuya tats.. n-share ko lng yan dn kc problem ko s cats ko now... mga suwail p pg nilalagyan ng gmot ung tenga... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
vhaby04
vhaby04

Female
Location sta ana manila

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 am

lemuel0909 wrote:
ghracey wrote:

dba nails nila parang kay wolverine naka tago,,
my pusa kasi kami dati hinihila ko yung kuko baka mngagat cguro pag gnupitan,,haha

uu nktago lem ung kuko nila kya pg trim ko nid ko p i-press ng onti pra lumbas ung kuko......
Back to top Go down
ghracey
ghracey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 2:41 pm

^ uu tama si vhaby hehe konting press kagigil na naman pag naalala ko
Back to top Go down
ghracey
ghracey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 3:11 pm

I experience earmites with my cats a few weeks ago. My baby Shasha experienced severe vomiting. Its color yellowish and she hardly can't eat because she will just throw it up afterwards, she also experience lost of activeness. I brought her to the VIP just to make sure that I will not lose my baby girl. They run blood test to her, ear swab and I forgot the other one. She was positive in ear mites and good thing they found nothing bad on her blood test. They gave medications and after three days my baby Shasha is back to normal. By the way the medication they give for earmites is oridermyl.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments    Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ear Mites in Cats - Symptoms and Treatments
Page 1 of 1