Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Breeding Scolopendra sp.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_15Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_17Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

Breeding Scolopendra sp. Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Scolopendra sp.   Breeding Scolopendra sp. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am

Breeding scolopendra's is not easy because there is not much information available about sexing them. There are a couple of things that help but mostly it's just trying and hope you're lucky. Before I put two scolo's together I look at a few things :

- The terminal legs (last pair of legs) of the male are often longer
- Females are usually much fatter

But as I said there are no certainties. The best way is to watch their behaviour when they are put together. If they immediately attack each other or if they run away from each other each time they meet it's usually because they are from the same sex. If they ignore each other, aren't scared and just explore the container there's a great possibility it's a couple. I leave them together for a couple of days in a container with lots of hiding places. Make sure they are both well fed to minimize the change of canabalism.

Scolopendra subspinipes Vanuatu (left = female)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Scolopendra subspinipes de haani 'Mau Chau' (right = female)
Credits: VL
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
taste my noodle
taste my noodle

Male
Location Manila,Philippines (The Home of Hostage Drama.LOL)

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Scolopendra sp.   Breeding Scolopendra sp. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 am

Tattoo wrote:
Breeding scolopendra's is not easy because there is not much information available about sexing them. There are a couple of things that help but mostly it's just trying and hope you're lucky. Before I put two scolo's together I look at a few things :

- The terminal legs (last pair of legs) of the male are often longer
- Females are usually much fatter

But as I said there are no certainties. The best way is to watch their behaviour when they are put together. If they immediately attack each other or if they run away from each other each time they meet it's usually because they are from the same sex. If they ignore each other, aren't scared and just explore the container there's a great possibility it's a couple. I leave them together for a couple of days in a container with lots of hiding places. Make sure they are both well fed to minimize the change of canabalism.

Scolopendra subspinipes Vanuatu (left = female)

Scolopendra subspinipes de haani 'Mau Chau' (right = female)
Credits: VL

-----------------------------------UP
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_15Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_17Breeding Scolopendra sp. Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Scolopendra sp.   Breeding Scolopendra sp. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

additional info for breeding...

Breeding
First get something that is large enough to give both of them plenty of running room for breeding. If either of them starts to show any type of aggressive behavior make sure to separate them immediately and try breeding them again at a later time. If they do not seem to have interest in the other go ahead and separate them also. Dependent on your species the male will either approach the female or he will make what is called sperm web. If it is the type that mates directly they will slowly touch antennae and then the male will proceed to approach the female backwards. This is to get their terminal legs entangled so he can transfer the spermaphore. If you have a species that makes a sperm web you might not even need risk putting them together. Try getting a tank with screen separating the two sides. Then put male and female on each side. Watch and see if the male puts down a sperm web. If so then remove the male and open the rest of the tank up. With luck the female will go and collect it with no danger to either centipede.
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Scolopendra sp.   Breeding Scolopendra sp. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Scolopendra sp.
Page 1 of 1