Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Stargazer Fish

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Stargazer Fish Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Stargazer Fish
By Bidisha Mukherjee

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stargazer fish is an amazing creature with some unique characteristics. Read this article to enrich your knowledge with some interesting facts about stargazer fish.

Stargazer fish is a bony fish that belongs to the family of Uranoscopidae. In all, there are almost 50 species of stargazers found in 8 different genera. They live in shallow waters of seas and oceans and are quite commonly found in Mediterranean sea and Atlantic Ocean. It can be described as a benthic species that prefers either to remain buried under the sand or mud or stay on the bottom of the sea or ocean bodies. When they bury themselves in the sand or mud, the eyes and the mouth are the only two parts of the fish that are visible. Thus it got its name as stargazer fish.

Stargazer Fish Classification

The scientific classification of the stargazer fish are as follows:

* Kingdom: Animalia
* Phylum: Chordata
* Class: Actinopterygii
* Order: Perciformes
* Family: Uranoscopidae

Stargazer Fish Information

Stargazer fish has an elongated round shaped body with a dull brown color. The upper section of the body has a slightly darker shade of brown as compared to its under part. It has a large head which is slightly flattened on the sides and consist of rough, bony plates. On an average, the usual size of the stargazer fish varies from 18-25 cm. However, there are certain species of giant stargazer that can be as long as 90 cm.

The eyes of stargazer fish are very small in size and are mounted at the top of the body. It has a large mouth which is faced in the upward direction. At the tips of its lower jaw, there is a small projection that looks like a worm. Most species have both the dorsal fins and anal fins. However, in some of the species, the dorsal spines are missing. Stargazers are poisonous in nature. This is because of the presence of two large poison spines that are located on each of its pectoral fins behind the gill cover. These spines can produce electricity and also deliver electric shocks.

The stargazer fishes eat other fishes and invertebrates like crabs present in the marine water for its survival. They hide themselves under the sand and keep a watch on their prey. Their body color also helps them to camouflage with their surroundings. As soon as they find a prey nearby, they jump upwards to catch hold of it. Another technique is where they use the appendage attached to its lower lip. As it appears like a worm, they quiver it to attract the prey. Then the prey, assuming it as a worm, moves towards it. As it comes near the mouth, the fish create a vacuum inside the mouth and suck in the prey fish. Thus, the prey enters into the open mouth of the stargazer.

The breeding season for the stargazer fish is spring and summer. They lay their small transparent eggs on the bottom of the sea. Later, the eggs float to the surface of the water and hatch into larvae of stargazer fish. They remain on top of the water, until it reaches the size of 12 - 15 millimeters in length. At this stage, they can swim to the bottom of the water, where they grow up into matured adult stargazer fish.

The physical features and the adaptability of the stargazer fish are exceptional indeed. These species can cause harm to humans with their venomous spines which can discharge up to 50 volts of electricity. Divers are quite familiar with this species of marine fish. They are infamous for their attacks on the divers particularly, night divers. If you are handling live specimens of these fish, you should do so with great care. Usually if humans approach them they do not cause any harm, unless and until they are disturbed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
s98432512
OverseA

OverseA  MembeR
s98432512

Male
Location Malaysia

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:39 pm

RVL Kennel wrote:
Stargazer Fish
By Bidisha Mukherjee

Stargazer fish is an amazing creature with some unique characteristics. Read this article to enrich your knowledge with some interesting facts about stargazer fish.

Stargazer fish is a bony fish that belongs to the family of Uranoscopidae. In all, there are almost 50 species of stargazers found in 8 different genera. They live in shallow waters of seas and oceans and are quite commonly found in Mediterranean sea and Atlantic Ocean. It can be described as a benthic species that prefers either to remain buried under the sand or mud or stay on the bottom of the sea or ocean bodies. When they bury themselves in the sand or mud, the eyes and the mouth are the only two parts of the fish that are visible. Thus it got its name as stargazer fish.

Stargazer fish has an elongated round shaped body with a dull brown color. The upper section of the body has a slightly darker shade of brown as compared to its under part. It has a large head which is slightly flattened on the sides and consist of rough, bony plates. On an average, the usual size of the stargazer fish varies from 18-25 cm. However, there are certain species of giant stargazer that can be as long as 90 cm.

The eyes of stargazer fish are very small in size and are mounted at the top of the body. It has a large mouth which is faced in the upward direction. At the tips of its lower jaw, there is a small projection that looks like a worm. Most species have both the dorsal fins and anal fins. However, in some of the species, the dorsal spines are missing. Stargazers are poisonous in nature. This is because of the presence of two large poison spines that are located on each of its pectoral fins behind the gill cover. These spines can produce electricity and also deliver electric shocks.

The stargazer fishes eat other fishes and invertebrates like crabs present in the marine water for its survival. They hide themselves under the sand and keep a watch on their prey. Their body color also helps them to camouflage with their surroundings. As soon as they find a prey nearby, they jump upwards to catch hold of it. Another technique is where they use the appendage attached to its lower lip. As it appears like a worm, they quiver it to attract the prey. Then the prey, assuming it as a worm, moves towards it. As it comes near the mouth, the fish create a vacuum inside the mouth and suck in the prey fish. Thus, the prey enters into the open mouth of the stargazer.

The breeding season for the stargazer fish is spring and summer. They lay their small transparent eggs on the bottom of the sea. Later, the eggs float to the surface of the water and hatch into larvae of stargazer fish. They remain on top of the water, until it reaches the size of 12 - 15 millimeters in length. At this stage, they can swim to the bottom of the water, where they grow up into matured adult stargazer fish.

The physical features and the adaptability of the stargazer fish are exceptional indeed. These species can cause harm to humans with their venomous spines which can discharge up to 50 volts of electricity. Divers are quite familiar with this species of marine fish. They are infamous for their attacks on the divers particularly, night divers. If you are handling live specimens of these fish, you should do so with great care. Usually if humans approach them they do not cause any harm, unless and until they are disturbed.

Hi sir... this reminds me of my frogfish ...
how i miss keeping reefs ... till electricity bills are too high ....... Sad

i wonder if this fish is the same as what u have posted ...

cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Stargazer Fish Medal_15Stargazer Fish Medal_17Stargazer Fish Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:47 pm

alien? Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Stargazer Fish Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:21 am

s98432512 wrote:
RVL Kennel wrote:
Stargazer Fish
By Bidisha Mukherjee

Hi sir... this reminds me of my frogfish ...
how i miss keeping reefs ... till electricity bills are too high ....... Sad

i wonder if this fish is the same as what u have posted ...

cheers Smile
i think they're different sir but both of them are excellent predators because of their camouflaging skills..

Tattoo wrote:
alien? Shocked
hehehe..ka match sir ni mr.stone fish
applause
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Stargazer Fish Medal_15Stargazer Fish Medal_17Stargazer Fish Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:35 am

I wish i dont encounter that fish in the beach. It will scare me to death.
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
Sponsored content

Stargazer Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stargazer Fish   Stargazer Fish I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stargazer Fish
Page 1 of 1