Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Parabuthus transvaalicus

Go down 
+5
BradPitbull
s98432512
Tattoo
c4rock
MJKC
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MJKC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male
Location Pasig City

Parabuthus transvaalicus Empty
PostSubject: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Parabuthus transvaalicus is a rather large scorpion from the dry savannahs and deserts of Southern Africa. The females in particular can grow to about 5 inches in length! The metasoma (tail) is quite large and thick thus earning this species the common name of Black Thick Tailed Scorpion. This species is sporadically available as wild caught imports, however learning to culture this species in captivity is important as captive breeding programs are the future of the Scorpion Hobby. One should never take for granted that this species will always be available as wild caught imports. The Tarantula Hobby is a shining example of this as many species are only available as captive bred stock. With this in mind, one should always assume that the same can happen with many of the scorpion species we now enjoy. I have sucessfully bred this species together with a friend (arachboy) -abner

Venom
This species is known to have moderately toxic venom. With an LD 50 of 4.25 (1) this species is considered by most to be medically significant not as much for the strength but for the quantity it can deliver. To top it off this species is also known to possess the ability to spray venom at an annoyance. I personally have never witnessed this scorpion spray venom but several fellow Scorpion Hobbyists have reported witnessing this. Needless to say, this species deserves a good deal of respect and should only be kept by those with some experience in keeping scorpions that will exercise caution when working with them.

Husbandry
Parabuthus transvaalicus is native to the dry areas of Southern Africa. With this in mind, the captive conditions should be kept warm and dry. They seem to thrive with temperatures between 80F-87F. If kept too cool and moist this species can get a fungal infection known as mycosis which will eventually kill the scorpion.
Housing the adults is actually quite simple. Kritter Keepers or 5-10 gallon tanks can be used with screen type tops which allow for good ventilation. I prefer to use about 3 inches of dry peat, sand or a mixture of both. A hide can be a piece of wood, propped up flat stone or just about anything that the scorpion can hide under. They are quite content with digging shallow scrapes underneath solid objects and therefore deep substrate is really not needed. About once a month the hobbyist can offer water in 2 Liter soda bottle cap. I will occasionally let the water dish overflow and even lightly spray the enclosure to simulate a light rain. One should be extremely careful when doing this because if the moisture does not evaporate fully within about 6-10 hours mycosis can develop! The extra ventilation by screened tops allow will allow the moisture to completely dry out within a few hours as long as the temperature is warm. I usually spray no more than once every month or two.
Occasionally adults can be kept together if fed very well however this species has been know to be cannibalistic so unless the hobbyist has several specimens they should be kept separate except for introducing breeding pairs.

Breeding
This species is relatively easy to breed when the husbandry is correct. Normally the male will initiate the courtship by clasping the female by her chelae. They will do the typical “dance” which usually lasts for about 15 minutes. Keep in mind it is important to know the sex of your scorpions before trying to breed them for obvious reasons. Adults are easy to sex as the males are built thin yet have bulbous chelae where as the females are much more robust with thinner chelar. The males bulbous chela will not develop until the last molt so in order to sex out juveniles one must look at the underneath side of the scorpion. Underneath is a “comb like appendage called a pectine. At the base of the pectine, if a long lobe is observed the specimen is a female.

Note: I have spoken with several Invertebrate hobbyists that have had some problems with getting this species to give birth to healthy live young. They report that they often drop yellowish colored eggs or undeveloped young. The people that have reported this are experienced tarantula breeders and going on what I know from tarantula hobbyists, the temperatures are usually kept in the 70sF which leads me to believe is the problem. My experiences with most scorpion species shows that they are much healthier when kept at warmer temperatures.

Conclusion
Parabuthus transvaalicus is an interesting and hardy captive to keep as long as the husbandry requirements are met and the hobbyist will exercise caution when working with this species. I hope that those who read this article will be inspired to keep and breed this species in the future. I have said many times that captive breeding is the future of the Invertebrate Hobby and all hobbyists should freely share their experiences with various species

Did You know that at an earLy 5 mos. after a succesfuL mating with a friends male p. trans- my 8i giant sized female gave birth @ exactly at the time of my beerday. . . may 6, 2010. . .what a blessing. . . then my other p. trans moulted a while ago now she's a certified 7th instar.
Back to top Go down
c4rock
c4rock

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:44 pm

my friend's p.trans produce double clutch. nangyari na ba sa inyo to? FYI i did saw it happen..
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_15Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_17Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

c4rock wrote:
my friend's p.trans produce double clutch. nangyari na ba sa inyo to? FYI i did saw it happen..
hindi p pero sa bicolor nangyari na.
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
s98432512
OverseA

OverseA  MembeR
s98432512

Male
Location Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:11 pm

MJKC wrote:
Parabuthus transvaalicus is a rather large scorpion from the dry savannahs and deserts of Southern Africa. The females in particular can grow to about 5 inches in length! The metasoma (tail) is quite large and thick thus earning this species the common name of Black Thick Tailed Scorpion. This species is sporadically available as wild caught imports, however learning to culture this species in captivity is important as captive breeding programs are the future of the Scorpion Hobby. One should never take for granted that this species will always be available as wild caught imports. The Tarantula Hobby is a shining example of this as many species are only available as captive bred stock. With this in mind, one should always assume that the same can happen with many of the scorpion species we now enjoy. I have sucessfully bred this species together with a friend (arachboy) -abner

Venom
This species is known to have moderately toxic venom. With an LD 50 of 4.25 (1) this species is considered by most to be medically significant not as much for the strength but for the quantity it can deliver. To top it off this species is also known to possess the ability to spray venom at an annoyance. I personally have never witnessed this scorpion spray venom but several fellow Scorpion Hobbyists have reported witnessing this. Needless to say, this species deserves a good deal of respect and should only be kept by those with some experience in keeping scorpions that will exercise caution when working with them.

Husbandry
Parabuthus transvaalicus is native to the dry areas of Southern Africa. With this in mind, the captive conditions should be kept warm and dry. They seem to thrive with temperatures between 80F-87F. If kept too cool and moist this species can get a fungal infection known as mycosis which will eventually kill the scorpion.
Housing the adults is actually quite simple. Kritter Keepers or 5-10 gallon tanks can be used with screen type tops which allow for good ventilation. I prefer to use about 3 inches of dry peat, sand or a mixture of both. A hide can be a piece of wood, propped up flat stone or just about anything that the scorpion can hide under. They are quite content with digging shallow scrapes underneath solid objects and therefore deep substrate is really not needed. About once a month the hobbyist can offer water in 2 Liter soda bottle cap. I will occasionally let the water dish overflow and even lightly spray the enclosure to simulate a light rain. One should be extremely careful when doing this because if the moisture does not evaporate fully within about 6-10 hours mycosis can develop! The extra ventilation by screened tops allow will allow the moisture to completely dry out within a few hours as long as the temperature is warm. I usually spray no more than once every month or two.
Occasionally adults can be kept together if fed very well however this species has been know to be cannibalistic so unless the hobbyist has several specimens they should be kept separate except for introducing breeding pairs.

Breeding
This species is relatively easy to breed when the husbandry is correct. Normally the male will initiate the courtship by clasping the female by her chelae. They will do the typical “dance” which usually lasts for about 15 minutes. Keep in mind it is important to know the sex of your scorpions before trying to breed them for obvious reasons. Adults are easy to sex as the males are built thin yet have bulbous chelae where as the females are much more robust with thinner chelar. The males bulbous chela will not develop until the last molt so in order to sex out juveniles one must look at the underneath side of the scorpion. Underneath is a “comb like appendage called a pectine. At the base of the pectine, if a long lobe is observed the specimen is a female.

Note: I have spoken with several Invertebrate hobbyists that have had some problems with getting this species to give birth to healthy live young. They report that they often drop yellowish colored eggs or undeveloped young. The people that have reported this are experienced tarantula breeders and going on what I know from tarantula hobbyists, the temperatures are usually kept in the 70sF which leads me to believe is the problem. My experiences with most scorpion species shows that they are much healthier when kept at warmer temperatures.

Conclusion
Parabuthus transvaalicus is an interesting and hardy captive to keep as long as the husbandry requirements are met and the hobbyist will exercise caution when working with this species. I hope that those who read this article will be inspired to keep and breed this species in the future. I have said many times that captive breeding is the future of the Invertebrate Hobby and all hobbyists should freely share their experiences with various species

Did You know that at an earLy 5 mos. after a succesfuL mating with a friends male p. trans- my 8i giant sized female gave birth @ exactly at the time of my beerday. . . may 6, 2010. . .what a blessing. . . then my other p. trans moulted a while ago now she's a certified 7th instar.

Hi sir MJKC,

nice informative write up Smile
i have to totally agree. Parabuthus Transvaalicus scorpion is indeed a rewarding prize piece scorpion to keep and breed .
They are very much more active as compared to other desert specimens. they eat like no body business and molt fast under right conditions.

keep the informations coming mate Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
BradPitbull
Super

Super  Moderator
BradPitbull

Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_11Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_12Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_15Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_17
Parabuthus transvaalicus Medal_14
Male
Location Here, There and Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

c4rock wrote:

masasabi kong totoo ang double clutch fist pop ng p trans ko 86 pieces, ndi ko pa iminate pero now heavily gravid na naman sya Very Happy
Back to top Go down
REUSDMAN
PEP
Staff

PEP  Staff
REUSDMAN

Male
Location makati q.c. manila., DOHA QATAR REUSDMAN

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 am

i agree........

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
acemastermind
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
acemastermind

Male
Location Metro Manila

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 am

BradPitbull wrote:
c4rock wrote:

masasabi kong totoo ang double clutch fist pop ng p trans ko 86 pieces, ndi ko pa iminate pero now heavily gravid na naman sya Very Happy

wow! dami sir ah. may paadopt kb nian?hehe.
Back to top Go down
http://acemastermind.deviantart.com/
babymajo
Pet Master
Pet Master
babymajo

Male
Location philippines

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 am

astig tlaga ang ptrans.. mga guys nkita nyo n b n nagspit ng venom ung ptrans, ska sa wild saan nila ginagmit ung pagspit ng venom, sa mga predators b nila o gnagmit din nila un sa prey?
Back to top Go down
acemastermind
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
acemastermind

Male
Location Metro Manila

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:44 pm

babymajo wrote:
astig tlaga ang ptrans.. mga guys nkita nyo n b n nagspit ng venom ung ptrans, ska sa wild saan nila ginagmit ung pagspit ng venom, sa mga predators b nila o gnagmit din nila un sa prey?

eto ptrans venom spray.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://acemastermind.deviantart.com/
mhaxrein
Pet Master
Pet Master
mhaxrein

Male
Location pandacan,las pinas

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 am

BradPitbull wrote:
c4rock wrote:

sir medyo matagal n ung topic......pro tanong ko lng pano nyo po nalaman n gravid uli kung ndi n mate? considering kelangan mated cya bago mag gravid uli???nwei kung gravid n nag pop n po b????thanks!!!!!!
confused confused confused
Back to top Go down
mhaxrein
Pet Master
Pet Master
mhaxrein

Male
Location pandacan,las pinas

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 2:06 am

acemastermind wrote:
babymajo wrote:

eto ptrans venom spray.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

provoke ung spray sir ndi natural....... para san kaya talaga un????? meron bang pag inaasar lng mag spray parang sa cobra? aun pangkontara talaga s predator nla un.....
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parabuthus transvaalicus   Parabuthus transvaalicus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parabuthus transvaalicus
Page 1 of 1