Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RVL Kennel
Pet Master
Pet Master
RVL Kennel

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding Medal_12
Male
Location Novaliches,Quezon City

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Responsible Breeding   Thoughts on Responsible Breeding I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Responsible Breeders...How it should be done

Considering breeding? someone who has the love of dogs at heart. Considering getting a dog? There are lots of different sources for dogs. The animal shelters are overrun with dogs produced by irresponsible breeders. I encourage most people to take a chance on dogs from shelters or from rescue. Many, if not most, can make wonderful companions.

If, however you really want a higher degree of predictability of temperament, health, working ability, size, coat and other factors you can increase that by seeking a well bred dog from a responsible breeder. Well I have my own opinion, but perhaps you will get a better idea if you look at some samples from various breed clubs. I think some are terrific, I think some are worthless there are a few that are so pitiful I would not include them at all. I also include links to sites that specifically discuss responsible breeding, or how to identify a responsible breeder.

Care about each dog you bring into this world. Treat it as part of your extended family when you place it in a new home. Take positive steps to make sure the dogs you create will never land in a shelter or in rescue.

Make sure that you have homes for the puppies before the sire and dam ever meet. Require deposits to encourage commitment. Interview interested parties to ensure they are a suitable match for the dogs you will be placing. Be honest about the qualities of the dogs you are placing. Explain the good points, and the not so good. Promise to take in, or help place, dogs or puppies you have caused to be created, no matter how old they are.

Remain available to serve as a resource, advice and support for typical problems encountered in raising, training and caring for your dogs. Take positive steps to ensure that the dogs you produce are a source of joy, not sorrow. Know the typical genetic diseases for your breed. Test for them, and do not breed a dog that may pass on serious genetic disease. Do not let your love for your dog make you blind to your obligation to others. Your dog may be healthy, but may still pass on serious genetic disease. Do what you can to avoid causing heartache. Do not breed your dog if you have no information on the health and fitness of both the parents of your dog. You need more than a single generation to make a good decision. Make sure that the dogs you produce are capable of a full and happy life, sound in mind, body and temperament.

Understand that your love of your dog can make you blind to its faults. Obtain an objective evaluation of the health and fitness of your dog by testing it in a manner appropriate to the breed, in some activity, e.g. obedience, agility, hunting, tracking, search and rescue, stock dog work, conformation, fly ball. The goal is to increase the probability that the dog will make a good companion by demonstrating skills taking intelligence, problem solving ability, dedication or persistence, bid ability or desire to please, stability of temperament among other things, and showing soundness and physical fitness.

Even if you love your dog very much, and can forgive its faults of temperament do not breed overly timid or aggressive dogs. Most lead overly restricted lives, and many are killed long before their time, far better they never exist in the first place. If you don't want to have the same responsibility for the progeny of your dogs then insist the dogs you produce be spayed or neutered. Remember, you are the one in control. You can require agreement by contract. If someone insists on irresponsible breeding you don't have to be a part of it. Use your power of contract to educate, and to enforce, your role as a responsible breeder.

Written with the help of Diane Blackman & Linda Bush
Back to top Go down
http://www.renegadevanlars.multiply.com

Page 1 of 1