Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Help: New female ate male emp

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kizzmalipz
kizzmalipz

Male
Location Manila

female - Help: New female ate male emp Empty
PostSubject: Help: New female ate male emp   female - Help: New female ate male emp I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I recently introduced a new female to my male emp. But before I did that, I fed the female and re-arrange the 10 gallon tank this time with 2 new hides. I put the female first then the male. The male started to judder and the female kinda aggressive to the female and starts stinging it. I've watched several videos on emp mating but what she's doing was way more aggressive. After a while, I saw them settle on each hides. After 24 hrs, they are still on their hides. On the 2nd night, they became active and they started the mating ritual and female replied with a bit aggression so I just let them be. The next morning, I saw the two of them together on the same hide only to find out that the female is munching on the male. Is there something I did wrong or any advise to improve how I handled the situation? Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
TipplerMG
Pet Master
Pet Master
TipplerMG

Male
Location Makati City

PostSubject: Re: Help: New female ate male emp   female - Help: New female ate male emp I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

You should have separated them after mating... Sad
Back to top Go down
kizzmalipz
kizzmalipz

Male
Location Manila

PostSubject: Re: Help: New female ate male emp   female - Help: New female ate male emp I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I read that they usually are aggressive on first "date" and starts to get along afterwards. When I saw them settled after 24 hrs I thought that they already tolerated each other. Well, I'll just charge this to experience. I'm thinking of keeping this female in solitary for a few months and verify that she's not gravid before I introduce a new male to him.

For now, I guess I need a new pair from Ben Sad
Back to top Go down
TipplerMG
Pet Master
Pet Master
TipplerMG

Male
Location Makati City

PostSubject: Re: Help: New female ate male emp   female - Help: New female ate male emp I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm

kizzmalipz wrote:
I read that they usually are aggressive on first "date" and starts to get along afterwards. When I saw them settled after 24 hrs I thought that they already tolerated each other. Well, I'll just charge this to experience. I'm thinking of keeping this female in solitary for a few months and verify that she's not gravid before I introduce a new male to him.

For now, I guess I need a new pair from Ben Sad

It is best not to keep more than one in the same tank, as there is a risk of cannibalism. In addition, even though you're providing enough insects for each scorpion, it's not uncommon for several scorpions to fight over the same insect if they're kept together.

As for mating it is best to separate them afterwards. See this video:

If you notice the male retreated after the act. And not just for emps:

Lasiodora parahybana:

Brachypelma auratum:

drinks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help: New female ate male emp   female - Help: New female ate male emp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help: New female ate male emp
Page 1 of 1