Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Care Sheet for Ball Pythons

Go down 
+20
diaz_jojo@yahoo.com
frost
sweet_boy
sircris0328
Astro7
Yhanzdcreptiles
kenn21
maister
guysack
Markus
Ram
TubaLytz77
Exotic1
Mark-Lee
alvik
ispen
Tattoo
lemuel0909
Mr.Baller
Exotic boi
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

Care Sheet for Ball Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Main Category:

Snakes

Species:

Ball Python

Sexing and Characteristics:

Both
sexes of ball pythons have cloacal spurs. The spurs of older adult male
ball pythons are often worn, their tips blunt and rounded, and
sometimes they appear smaller than the spurs of a similar-sized
female;however, in adult specimens, the spurs of males, when intact,
are larger and have a more inward hook than the spurs of females.

Mostly Active During:

Night

Substrate and Water Needs:

Substrate-
Aspen shavings, mulch-type commercial material; unbleached paper
towels, soil, dampened sphagnum moss, and bark;avoid gravel and
artificial turf (to harsh for skin). You should take special
precautions when using pine shavings. First be sure no cedar shavings,
which are toxic to snakes, are mixed in;second avoid pine shavings with
a strong pine scent, as they are high in phenols and not recommended
for use with snakes. when using aspen shavings (what I use), apply a
thick layer and allow the snake time to compress the shavings before
feeding. If you use either pine or aspen shavings, it is highly
recommended that you inspect the snake�s mouth area regularly to make
sure that shavings have not become lodged in its mouth.

Water- Ball pythons should always have available to them a
container such as a medium-sized dog water dish, half to three-fourths
filled with clean, chlorine-free, water for drinking. Providing a
larger water bowl when a snake is in shed may help facilitate shedding;
at other times a smaller container is best in order to discourage
excessive soaking. A water bowl may be placed over or under a heat
source to increase relative humidity within the vivarium, which may be
beneficial at various times.Take care to assure the vivarium has proper
ventilation, so that moisture does not accumulate as result of
condensation.

Lighting and UVB:

Lighting-
Snakes need a photo period light cycle;provide 8-12 hours of light
daily;do not leave white light on at all times; to view snakes at night
use a black or infrared light. If you use incandescent bulbs over a
basking area to provide a heat gradient, you should use red
incandescent bulbs.

Temperatures and Humidity:

Temperature-
Temp gradient (up to 95degreesF for the warm end and 78-80degreesF for
the cool end);recommend radiant heat;use an incandescent light or
ceramic heater as primary heat source, use under tank heater as
secondary source.

Humidity- maintain a 60 percent humidity for comfortable living and
a 80 percent humidity for shedding snakes. (see Substrates and Water)

Heating and Equipment:

Heating-
To create a basking area use sub tank heating pads and strips(Zoo Med).
Be sure the hot spot is not burning hot to the touch. There have been
cases were the pine shavings on the floor of an enclosure caught fire
as a result. Another method of heating ball python enclosures is the
use of red incandescent light bulbs in fixtures with aluminum
reflectors or ceramic infrared heaters. A thermostatic control is
recommended.

Caging Provided:

Caging-
The minimum enclosure for housing a juvenile ball python should have a
floor surface area at least as large as that of a standard ten-gallon
aquarium(20in long by 10in wide). For small adults the enclosure should
have a floor area of a standard 20 gallon aquarium(24in long by12in
wide); a larger size is preferable. For very large adults, an enclosure
should have a floor area of at least a standard 30 gallon aquarium(36in
long bu 12 in wide); a larger size is preferable.

Diet:

Carnivorous

Description of Diet:

Feeding-
Hatchling and sub adult ball pythons should be offered food every 5 to
7 days;adults, every 7 to 10 days. Hatchlings should be offered one
food item of suitable size(apparent body girth of prey animal nearly
equal to thickest girth of snake). Adults can be offered 2 or 3 prey
items, such as adult mice or just-weaned rats, or a single larger pray,
such as a small rat.

Maintenance:

Maintenance-
Clean out water dish and replace water daily. Remove feces daily, or
food if dot eaten immediately. Thoroughly clean the tank at least once
a month, or when snake sheds: Set snake aside in secure habitat; scrub
the tank and furnishings with a 3% bleach solution;rinse thoroughly
with water, removing all smell of bleach; dry the tank and furnishings;
and add clean cage carpet. Snakes will regularly shed their skin; if
old pieces of skin remain after shedding, mist the snake and gently rub
off the old skin.

Some Words on this Species:

Signs of a Healthy Animal-

Active and alert

Clear eyes

Healthy skin

Eats regularly

Regular shedding of skin

Sheds skin in one complete piece

Signs of a Unhealthy Animal(Red Flags)-

Unusually frequent or infrequent shedding

Lethargic or reluctant to eat

Abnormal feces

Difficulty shedding

Vomiting

Bumps or spots on skin

Labored breathing

White, cheesy substance in mouth

Thank you so much.

Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 am

Back to top Go down
Mr.Baller
Mr.Baller

Male
Location QC

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 4:56 pm

good info their sir. ok yan. may sarili ng thread BP dito Smile
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:38 am

Mr.Baller wrote:
good info their sir. ok yan. may sarili ng thread BP dito Smile

hehehe..thank's bro
Back to top Go down
lemuel0909
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
lemuel0909

Male
Location cabuyao laguna

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:41 am

nice info sir,, thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://lemuel0909.myadpost.com
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Care Sheet for Ball Pythons Medal_15Care Sheet for Ball Pythons Medal_17Care Sheet for Ball Pythons Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:33 am

Nice info sir! 1 +rep for you! Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
ispen
Pet Master
Pet Master

Male
Location Sampaloc/ UST Area

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm

lupet naman ng info mo bro hehehe! Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 am

@ispen para ma help out naten yung mga newbie...hehehehe
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi fellow bp enthusiasts! Has anybody here tried using coconut fiber chips as substrate for ball pythons? I found an article in ballpythonaddiction.com saying that this is a nice alternative to aspen or cypress (both not easy to find locally). And since this material is abundant in our country (besides newspaper of course) this would be a nice and cheap alternative as bedding for our precious snakes. Actually, i have now been using it for a few months. So far, i think this chips are working for me; however, its hard to conclude that this is indeed good for snakes especially that i have only used this in a short span of time. In addition, there are only few literature regarding coconut chips as ball python bedding. Your tough's on this would greatly be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Baller
Mr.Baller

Male
Location QC

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 pm

alvik wrote:
Hi fellow bp enthusiasts! Has anybody here tried using coconut fiber chips as substrate for ball pythons? I found an article in ballpythonaddiction.com saying that this is a nice alternative to aspen or cypress (both not easy to find locally). And since this material is abundant in our country (besides newspaper of course) this would be a nice and cheap alternative as bedding for our precious snakes. Actually, i have now been using it for a few months. So far, i think this chips are working for me; however, its hard to conclude that this is indeed good for snakes especially that i have only used this in a short span of time. In addition, there are only few literature regarding coconut chips as ball python bedding. Your tough's on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks sa info sir. Looks like na wala namang bad effect sa BP mo ang coco fiber chips. Thats very nice. Cost less and easy to find. For me i'll stick on vitacraft Very Happy 250php and sobrang tagal maubos
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Mr.Baller wrote:
alvik wrote:

Thanks sa info sir. Looks like na wala namang bad effect sa BP mo ang coco fiber chips. Thats very nice. Cost less and easy to find. For me i'll stick on vitacraft Very Happy 250php and sobrang tagal maubos

Thanks for your views Mr. Baller. Actually, before i switched to coconut chips, i was also using vitacraft. It was great and all, but one thing i noticed was when my snake strikes at their prey ,during feeding, and misses its target they end up with pieces of bedding stuck in their mouths (so far this never happened with the chips). They would then try to remove the bedding off their mouth and during the process food would then be ignored (not an easy task since they don't have hands to grab it out.. hehehe). Have you ever experienced this?

I get my coconut chips in Manila Seedling Bank and they cost at around P165.00 (this are sold in decent sized blocks). There are also some sold at P200 per sack. Not bad if you have a huge collection. Anyhow, i guess whatever works for us is good enough. My concern though with this chips is if this has some long term side effects like respiratory problems or what not.
Back to top Go down
Mark-Lee
Mark-Lee

Male
Location Metro Manila

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:16 pm

alvik wrote:
Mr.Baller wrote:
alvik wrote:

Thanks for your views Mr. Baller. Actually, before i switched to coconut chips, i was also using vitacraft. It was great and all, but one thing i noticed was when my snake strikes at their prey ,during feeding, and misses its target they end up with pieces of bedding stuck in their mouths (so far this never happened with the chips). They would then try to remove the bedding off their mouth and during the process food would then be ignored (not an easy task since they don't have hands to grab it out.. hehehe). Have you ever experienced this?

I get my coconut chips in Manila Seedling Bank and they cost at around P165.00 (this are sold in decent sized blocks). There are also some sold at P200 per sack. Not bad if you have a huge collection. Anyhow, i guess whatever works for us is good enough. My concern though with this chips is if this has some long term side effects like respiratory problems or what not.

I see that Im not the only one here using vitacraft. Tuwing pinapakain ko naman BP ko nilalabas ko siya ng enclo para hindi siya makakain ng vitacrafts Smile actually mas malakas umubos ng vitacraft mga feeders ko than may BP Laughing madalas kasi pag-uwi ko basa na yung bedding ng mga mice ko. sometimes kasi nag leak2x yung water bottle ko
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

im switching to it now....thank's for another info regarding this...but you sure guys that this coco chips are safe rather than using newspaper or any recycled paper??
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Here's a few pictures of my bp set-up using coco chips bedding. Personally, i think newspapers are safer considering that top breeders have been using this material for a long time without any ill effects and if you think about it paper is just a bit more sanitary. However, i am not quite sure if it is the best bedding for our snakes. As per observation, my snakes are a lot more secure when they're on loose bedding. They also tend to eat better. In addition, with coco chips, i never have encountered my snakes plastered on the wall of their enclosure trying to avoid a puddle of pee and poo. Cleaning is also a lot easier since you can just spot clean. No need to take out the snake every time their bedding is spoiled. Just my observation, nothing scientific though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mark-Lee
Mark-Lee

Male
Location Metro Manila

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

alvik wrote:
Here's a few pictures of my bp set-up using coco chips bedding. Personally, i think newspapers are safer considering that top breeders have been using this material for a long time without any ill effects and if you think about it paper is just a bit more sanitary. However, i am not quite sure if it is the best bedding for our snakes. As per observation, my snakes are a lot more secure when they're on loose bedding. They also tend to eat better. In addition, with coco chips, i never have encountered my snakes plastered on the wall of their enclosure trying to avoid a puddle of pee and poo. Cleaning is also a lot easier since you can just spot clean. No need to take out the snake every time their bedding is spoiled. Just my observation, nothing scientific though. Laughing

ganda ng BP sir Smile yummy Exclamation
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Mark-Lee wrote:
alvik wrote:

ganda ng BP sir Smile yummy Exclamation

Thanks again Mark!

- And guys maybe some of you could also share pictures of your set-up. I'm sure everybody would be stoked!
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 am

truly beautiful brother... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 am

Exotic boi wrote:

Thanks bro.. Btw where did you purchase your coco chips? How much did you get it for?
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 am

alvik wrote:
Exotic boi wrote:

Thanks bro.. Btw where did you purchase your coco chips? How much did you get it for?

i don't know how much my brother bought it,i just ask him to buy one for our BP Very Happy.

bought it from manila seedling bank Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 am

@alvik- how many BP's do you have bro???
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 am

Exotic boi wrote:

I have 6 total and i hope it doesn't end there. 2 Normals, 2 Pastels, a Spider and the one in the picture, a Bee. How bout you? Share mo naman pics ng BPs mo. I never get tired of looking at them BP pictures. hehe
Back to top Go down
Mark-Lee
Mark-Lee

Male
Location Metro Manila

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 pm

alvik wrote:
Exotic boi wrote:

I have 6 total and i hope it doesn't end there. 2 Normals, 2 Pastels, a Spider and the one in the picture, a Bee. How bout you? Share mo naman pics ng BPs mo. I never get tired of looking at them BP pictures. hehe

same here sir. pag wala ako magawa nag browse ako ng mga bp morphs. hehe. ako pastel palang meron
Back to top Go down
Exotic boi
Exotic boi

Male

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 pm

alvik wrote:
Exotic boi wrote:

@alvik-ok bro cge mag ppost ako ng picture ng BP ko... i have one lang kase female po siya...baka my male ka dude??

ganda ng BP's mo alvik. Very Happy

bro how did you manage your cocochips??what if they urinate then same time poof..im not using my chips pa kase.
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

Exotic boi wrote:
alvik wrote:
Exotic boi wrote:

@alvik-ok bro cge mag ppost ako ng picture ng BP ko... i have one lang kase female po siya...baka my male ka dude??

ganda ng BP's mo alvik. Very Happy

bro how did you manage your cocochips??what if they urinate then same time poof..im not using my chips pa kase.

Yung bumblebee is a male but his around 420g palang, not yet ready. However, once he starts breeding ill let you know.

Yung sa pagamit ng cocochips. I spot clean every day. So if mayroong poop or urates i simply scoop it out. Urine is absorbed by the chips, so i don't really do anything bout that. However, i do change the entire bedding every two weeks or less depending on the condition.

I just got my self a new 1000g female normal yesterday and she is loving her coco chips. She even ate a rat immediately. I guess she's feeling secure with her new enclosure. Stoked! hehe
Back to top Go down
alvik

Male
Location pasay city

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 am

Mark-Lee wrote:
alvik wrote:
Exotic boi wrote:

same here sir. pag wala ako magawa nag browse ako ng mga bp morphs. hehe. ako pastel palang meron

Mark post mo naman pics ng pastel mo! hehe. Anu nga pala gender ng pastel mo?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Care Sheet for Ball Pythons   Care Sheet for Ball Pythons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Care Sheet for Ball Pythons
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next