Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Tarantula Body Language how to read..

Go down 
+7
gabsam
sanders31
littletotxie
cholo22
Freakylime
archer
y2kwarrior
11 posters
AuthorMessage
y2kwarrior
y2kwarrior

Male
Location r.papa/caloocan/calumpit bulacan

Tarantula Body Language how to read.. Empty
PostSubject: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:24 am

Tarantulas do communicate, let's take a look at some of the
body language you will see often:
These are some of the ways that a tarantula communicates. Learning to read these signs will help you understand
your tarantula(s) and offer them a long and healthy life without losing any of your fingers.
Fang

1) Tarantula is at rest with legs extended and opisthosoma on or near the substrate.
-this indicates the tarantula is not disturbed and does not perceive any threat.
keep in mind that this can change faster than a blink of an eye.
2) Abdomen is thrust up into the air with spinnerets pointed north.
-caution! this means that the tarantula is aware of a disturbance and is waiting
for (your) next move. It is not sure if disturbance warrants further action.
3) Tarantula turns its abdomen towards disturbance and rubs its back legs over the
urticating hairs on its abdomen to release a cloud of hairs.
-Okay, now we mean business! This next step up the defense echelon portrays that
the tarantula is clearly irritated. Back off and leave me alone! I mean it!
4) Tarantula really gets pissed off and faces the pernicious threat with entire body
raised up with front legs raised into the air.
-Last chance pal! hopefully this causes the perpetrator to retreat and put some space
between oneself and this very agitated spider. This is the last stage of communication
before the tarantula lunges forward with fangs bared. Obviously...
5) The strike... you know what happens here.
6) Tarantula is weak, listless and has appendages curled beneath its body.
-not good. this is a wake up call to any observer than the spider is severely dehydrated.
also called the death curl. with fluid loss the muscles contract the appendages inward.
the tarantula needs ICU pronto!
7) Tarantula appears to be eating itself, with a leg or two stuffed in its mouth.
-it is not consuming itself, no fret here. this indicates that the tarantula is grooming.
tarantulas are fastidious groomers, often cleaning themselves to reduce bacteria and
parasite infections, especially in the hot and humid rainforests. keep in mind that
tarantulas are not dirty, the environment/enclosure can be.
Cool Ground dwelling species is observed clinging to sides of enclosure for extended periods
of time.
-clinging to sides like this is not uncommon, but it could indicate that the substrate is
too wet or infested with mites. check substrate and clean if need be. some species abhor
wet substrate, for example the green bottle blue (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens).
9) Tarantula is hovering over water dish for extended periods of time, day after day.
-while tarantulas may get a drink and rest for a bit, hovering over water dish for long
periods of time could very well indicate that relative humidity is too low and/or substrate
is way too dry. moisten substrate by dribbling clean water over it and/or misting with
reduced ventilation.
10)Tarantula appears listless and has refused any prey items. This with noted darkening of the
cuticle.
-this is the pre-molt period prior to an imminent molt. this is natural and is to be expected.
remove any live prey items and leave the tarantula alone. it is about to molt.
11)Tarantula has flipped over inverted,often on a silken mat.
-the tarantula is molting and should not be disturbed. this rite of passage must happen in
order for the spider to grow.
12)The feeding tarantula is laying down strands of silk and is rotating around like a carousel.
-good news my friend! this is often called the "happy dance". pure delight and focused on eating
its dinner. some do this and some don't, but its interesting to watch. pure bliss!
13)Your newly mature male is observed wandering his enclosure ceaseless, and not interested in feeding.
-the male tarantula has matured sexually and is hot to trot! Look out! He is bent on finding a female
mate with. this is normal but you should find him a date soon!
14)You observe your adult female barricading herself off from the outside world, usually in a corner
or in her hide. to the point where you can't see her at all. This in conjunction with feeding voraciously.
-this is when, after mating of course, your female tarantula is about to become a mother. she is preparing
to lay her eggs. she will not feed during this time so remove any prey items. let her do her thing and
good luck!!
15)Your newly aquired tarantula is frantic and is pacing around its new enclosure with wild abandon.
-this is nothing to worry about, as this indicates your new tarantula is unfamiliar with its new surroundings.
it is searching for the right location to begin constructing its new lair. this is common with newly aquired
aboreal species. within a day or so it will pick out a particular spot to make a silken retreat.
16)The tarantula,hopefully older and established, refuses to feed.
-don't sweat this at first, but sometimes tarantulas go off feed for reasons unknown. this can happen during
the pre-molt period but during intermolt periods this can happen sometimes with the desert dwelling species.
it just means the tarantula isn't hungry right now. longer periods of fasting can happen if the ambient temperature
falls below 60 degrees (F). juveniles who refuse to eat other than pre-molt periods may harbor parasites.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
archer
Pet Master
Pet Master
archer

Male
Location Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 4:15 am

ive seen it also
very nice info thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://rnelng.multiply.com
Freakylime
Freakylime

Male
Location Laoag City, Ilocos Norte

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm

hehe cool info. you just really need to understand your pets. some of this are on my own experience and just by understanding them you know what their up to and what they want or need. when i read this hehe turns out my guess why their acting like that is true. just like you understand what their trying to say hehe thumbs up like this very nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cholo22
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
cholo22

Male
Location Pasig City

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

wow. Very Happy thank you sir. very informative. thumbs up alam ko na gagawin ko sa T's.
Back to top Go down
littletotxie

Male
Location Marikina City

PostSubject: Re:   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 am

Very nice. May bago akong nalalaman. Thanks po!
Back to top Go down
sanders31
sanders31

Male
Location binangonan ,rizal

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

sir thanx sa info. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
gabsam
gabsam

Female
Location Marikina Heights

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 11:24 pm

COOOL. very informative po sir malaking tulong sa newbies like me Smile thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
rottenthoughts
rottenthoughts

Male
Location Caloocan City

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
sgtpong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
sgtpong

Male
Location Mandaluyong City

PostSubject: ...†   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 am

nice one sir.
Back to top Go down
mekster
mekster

Male
Location Manila

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Quote :

2) Abdomen is thrust up into the air with spinnerets pointed north.
-caution! this means that the tarantula is aware of a disturbance and is waiting
for (your) next move. It is not sure if disturbance warrants further action.
3) Tarantula turns its abdomen towards disturbance and rubs its back legs over the
urticating hairs on its abdomen to release a cloud of hairs.
-Okay, now we mean business! This next step up the defense echelon portrays that
the tarantula is clearly irritated. Back off and leave me alone! I mean it!

nakita ko sa Chacko sling ko (2cm). Ayaw niya kaining yung ipis yun pala pre molt hahaha. astig tignan sa slings Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.retromek.com
dracopoke13
dracopoke13

Male
Location iloilo, philippines

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 pm

good info..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tarantula Body Language how to read..   Tarantula Body Language how to read.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tarantula Body Language how to read..
Page 1 of 1