Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton

Go down 
+12
Arvin
sweet_boy
Light08
mustang52883
pedipulps
MJKC
lemuel0909
aldino
ispen
vicpineda
Tattoo
Qua2g
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Qua2g
Qua2g

Male
Location Pasig City

Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Empty
PostSubject: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 pm

SEXING YOUR TARANTULA BY THE CAST EXOSKELETON

The sexing of your Tarantula is quite a simple process, once you know the basics. Although there are many books about Tarantulas only few of the better ones explain how to sex your specimen. Here is how to do it.

This method uses the examination of the internal genital parts cast skin. If your specimen is of a large sub adult size the sexing process can be easily done with your naked eye. If you are wishing to sex a juvenile you may require a hand held lens. When you are confident in what to look for you can sex very young juveniles but you will need a good microscope to sex the smallest size, but remember the smaller the spider the harder it will be. I have found you can sex a Brachypelma smithi with a leg span of an 1.5 inches with ease, with other species this will be more difficult due to different shapes and sizes of their seminal receptacle ( spermathecae ). Here is what you are looking for when sexing your spider.

The red arrows point out the key area of interest to us, the genital structures as seen from the inside of the cast skin. The four pale areas, are the book lungs, between the first set of lungs, nearest the join to the abdomen, there is a fold of skin this is the ephigastic furrow. This is where we find the genital structures of our specimen and what we are using to determine the sex of your immature tarantula.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(1) FEMALE

If there is a prominent and distinct structure ( spermathecae ) visible as shown by the red arrow here . These are the seminal receptacles, then this will be a female, the size and shape of the spermathecae will very from species to species see the diagrams below. These deferent shapes are often used in the determination of the genus of a newly discovered tarantulas.

(2) MALE

If there is no visible structures of any kind, and just a faint crease or line between the book lungs then your specimen will mature into a male, seen here. Great care should be taken here as young females have a small seminal receptacles, the more mature the specimen the more pronounced the structures. Use a hand held lens if unsure, and on smaller tarantulas use a good microscope.

Please note the diagrams (1) and (2) are of a Brachypelma smithi and the the structures do very from species to species

The sex determination process is best done with a fresh skin, but if the skin is old and dried out but in good condition you can re-hydrate the skin for a better look. This is how I do it, use a flat bottomed container the type used to keep food fresh, such as Tupperware©️ and big enough to take the fully spread skin. Then add two drops of washing up liquid and add hot water from a kettle, make sure its not boiling, add only a small amount enough to cover the bottom of the tub and not the whole skin. Then seal the lid down and wait ten minutes to check the skin, it should now be soft and pliable. Carefully remove and place on a few layers of paper towel. Then with some tweezers gentle ply apart the abdomen skin, once the book lungs and ephigastic furrow are visible leave to dry. This should not take to long as the hot water will quickly evaporate off into steam. Once you have seen for yourself the obvious differences, sexing your tarantulas will be easy, allowing you to plan future breeding and perhaps stopping the unfortunate loss of a mature male whilst trying to mate him with a large presumed female but immature male. Hopefully this has given you some idea of how to go about sexing your tarantula. The next step would be to compare some of your tarantulas cast skins with the above illustrations or find a skin of your freshly moulted male and compare that to a tarantula you suspect, or know to be a female.
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_15Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_17Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 pm

nice info bro! nakalimutan kong ilagay i2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
vicpineda

Male
Location Malinta

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 am

galing ng info sir! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://static.clixsense.com/banners/clixsense468x60d.png
ispen
Pet Master
Pet Master

Male
Location Sampaloc/ UST Area

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm

ganda ng info sir! thnx.. hirap pa din talaga ako pag ventral na pinag uusapan.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_15Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_17Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 am

ispen wrote:
ganda ng info sir! thnx.. hirap pa din talaga ako pag ventral na pinag uusapan.. Laughing
mahirap tlga ventral bro. Mas sanay dn aq sa exuvium kesa ventral hehehe
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
aldino
aldino

Male
Location San Pablo City Laguna

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:52 am

nice nice
Back to top Go down
lemuel0909
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
lemuel0909

Male
Location cabuyao laguna

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 12:38 pm

complete details ah,,ayos,,
Back to top Go down
http://lemuel0909.myadpost.com
MJKC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male
Location Pasig City

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:44 am

NICE ONE BRO thumbs up study Increasing our Learning by means of our friends is a good thing. . . drinks
Back to top Go down
pedipulps
pedipulps

Male
Location Silay City Neg. Occ.

PostSubject: big thnx sa info!   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 am

salamat sa info sir
Back to top Go down
mustang52883
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
mustang52883

Male
Location Olongapo City

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Very informative, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Light08
Pet Master
Pet Master
Light08

Male
Location Sampaloc, manila

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 am

thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
sweet_boy
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
sweet_boy

Male
Location cainta rizal

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:46 am

wow astig .. ang galing ng imfo..
Back to top Go down
sweet_boy
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
sweet_boy

Male
Location cainta rizal

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:56 am

Qua2g wrote:
SEXING YOUR TARANTULA BY THE CAST EXOSKELETON

The sexing of your Tarantula is quite a simple process, once you know the basics. Although there are many books about Tarantulas only few of the better ones explain how to sex your specimen. Here is how to do it.

This method uses the examination of the internal genital parts cast skin. If your specimen is of a large sub adult size the sexing process can be easily done with your naked eye. If you are wishing to sex a juvenile you may require a hand held lens. When you are confident in what to look for you can sex very young juveniles but you will need a good microscope to sex the smallest size, but remember the smaller the spider the harder it will be. I have found you can sex a Brachypelma smithi with a leg span of an 1.5 inches with ease, with other species this will be more difficult due to different shapes and sizes of their seminal receptacle ( spermathecae ). Here is what you are looking for when sexing your spider.

The red arrows point out the key area of interest to us, the genital structures as seen from the inside of the cast skin. The four pale areas, are the book lungs, between the first set of lungs, nearest the join to the abdomen, there is a fold of skin this is the ephigastic furrow. This is where we find the genital structures of our specimen and what we are using to determine the sex of your immature tarantula.

(1) FEMALE

tams up ako dyn.. hehehehe

If there is a prominent and distinct structure ( spermathecae ) visible as shown by the red arrow here . These are the seminal receptacles, then this will be a female, the size and shape of the spermathecae will very from species to species see the diagrams below. These deferent shapes are often used in the determination of the genus of a newly discovered tarantulas.

(2) MALE

If there is no visible structures of any kind, and just a faint crease or line between the book lungs then your specimen will mature into a male, seen here. Great care should be taken here as young females have a small seminal receptacles, the more mature the specimen the more pronounced the structures. Use a hand held lens if unsure, and on smaller tarantulas use a good microscope.

Please note the diagrams (1) and (2) are of a Brachypelma smithi and the the structures do very from species to species

The sex determination process is best done with a fresh skin, but if the skin is old and dried out but in good condition you can re-hydrate the skin for a better look. This is how I do it, use a flat bottomed container the type used to keep food fresh, such as Tupperware© and big enough to take the fully spread skin. Then add two drops of washing up liquid and add hot water from a kettle, make sure its not boiling, add only a small amount enough to cover the bottom of the tub and not the whole skin. Then seal the lid down and wait ten minutes to check the skin, it should now be soft and pliable. Carefully remove and place on a few layers of paper towel. Then with some tweezers gentle ply apart the abdomen skin, once the book lungs and ephigastic furrow are visible leave to dry. This should not take to long as the hot water will quickly evaporate off into steam. Once you have seen for yourself the obvious differences, sexing your tarantulas will be easy, allowing you to plan future breeding and perhaps stopping the unfortunate loss of a mature male whilst trying to mate him with a large presumed female but immature male. Hopefully this has given you some idea of how to go about sexing your tarantula. The next step would be to compare some of your tarantulas cast skins with the above illustrations or find a skin of your freshly moulted male and compare that to a tarantula you suspect, or know to be a female.
Back to top Go down
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:07 pm

thanks sa info.. hirap pag maliit pa talaga.. need ng lens.
Back to top Go down
betsok
betsok

Male
Location novaliches, quezon city

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm

very informative! thanks for posting Mr. Green
Back to top Go down
megahertz
megahertz

Male
Location Parañaque

PostSubject: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 12:17 am

ganda inFO n2
Back to top Go down
kingever
Pet Master
Pet Master
kingever

Male
Location manila

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 am

up bro ganda nito
Back to top Go down
borj

Male
Location Valenzuela

PostSubject: Re: Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton   Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:25 am

nice one.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Sexing Your Tarantula By The Cast Exoskeleton
Page 1 of 1