Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
s98432512
OverseA

OverseA  MembeR
s98432512

Male
Location Malaysia

Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Empty
PostSubject: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi guys,

i am wondering if anyone keeps Neostylopyga Rhombifolia roaches aka halequin roaches. tot i post a thread to share on this as i still haven seen it posted Smile

anyway , somehow or another, a good friend of mine managed to pass me some egg sac of this patterned roaches back year 2009 and i manged to start a small coloney of this specimen and recently they have matured and started laying egg sacs ..

currently have 05nos of egg sacs..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pic taken from the internet - currently i do not have a nice picture of my own.

some basic history of specimen..
The Harlequin Roach (Neostylopyga Rhombifolia) originated in Indo-Malaysia, found is the northern part of Australia is now well established in various parts of the Western Hemisphere, including Mexico where it also migrated northward, near the Arizona border, few adults were also found in South California.

The length varies from 20 to 27 mm. The tegmina (forewings) of both sexes are small lobes, only about 4 mm long, and hind wings are entirely lacking. Its distinctive colors and patterns make this roach one of the most beautiful species kept as pet by many enthusiast around the world. Very fast in its movements this species is a egg layer and can climb smooth surfaces. In optimal conditions females can lay a large quantity of oothecas (egg case) containing about 15-30 eggs each. Juveniles have a tan uniform color, molt after molt they acquire the characteristic design that distinguish adults.

The Harlequin Cockroach has the ability to produce a chemical (amyl acetate) that smells like pear drops which it uses to defend itself against predators..

Basic care .

i keep them like how i keep my laterias roaches but do take note that this specimen climbs and do ensure u got a sercured lid / cover Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_15Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_17Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm

My friends are keeping those roaches, but me? I dont. Coz i dont like the smell. Everytime i see those things crawling in the wall i kill them using insectisides Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
s98432512
OverseA

OverseA  MembeR
s98432512

Male
Location Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Tattoo wrote:
My friends are keeping those roaches, but me? I dont. Coz i dont like the smell. Everytime i see those things crawling in the wall i kill them using insectisides Very Happy

lol... i was very much attracted to them due to their nice pattern on their back .. lol..
still rem one of my friend saying i am a strange guy that keep roches as pets lol ....

i sometimes feed my scorpion roaches for nut value that were not cater when feed with crickets and mealworms. therefore i have a few specimen of roaches lol..
do u keep roaches feeders too ??? they are sure of a good choice of feeder Smile

here a pic of the adults i kept .. Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tattoo
Administrator
Administrator
Tattoo

Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_15Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_17Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches Medal_10
Male
Location Novaliches, Quezon City

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:04 am

I hate roaches that musk. My pet roaches are lateralis, dubia, lobster roach n hisser. All ive mention dont musk. Those are my feeders Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://pep9.nstars.org/
orangehouse
orangehouse

Male
Location Q.C.

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

I used to keep these as feeders long before B. dubia was imported in the country. I caught 7 specimens in Nasugbu, Batangas. I discovered that they reproduce fast. I think they don't need to mate. I was able to solve the issue on musk by feeding them on a diet of oatmeal. The musk was tolerable. I would liken it to freshly sliced tomatoes. The only problem with them as feeders is that they secrete a sticky substance as defense. They are also able to climb smooth surfaces.

They can go on extended period of no food and water, and still reproduce!
Back to top Go down
labstarantula
labstarantula

Male
Location camarin caloocan city,

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm

nice hobby
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches   Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neostylopyga Rhombifolia Roaches
Page 1 of 1