Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) Empty
PostSubject: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 11:05 am

Hissing Cockroach
(Gromphadorhina portentosa)

Place of Origin: Madagascar

General information:
Hissing cockroaches are one of the largest species of roaches. They are a large flightless (without wings) primarily ground dwelling species. Hissing roaches average size is 2”-3”, with females larger than males. They get their hissing sound by inhaling and exhaling air through their sphericals. Hissing cockroaches are also ovoviporous meaning they give live birth.

Male Hisser
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Female Hisser

Housing/ lighting:
Size – Appropriate size habitat, floor space is more important than height, with secure lid. This species is also capable of climbing glass so be sure to have a screen lid with small mesh.
Substrate – (IMO, optional) - Provide around 2”-3” inches of substrate. It can be soil (untreated); coco peat; sphagnum moss; commercial brand bark. Also make sure to change the substrate on a regular basis.
Décor – Cork bark, live plants, driftwood, etc. make good hiding places. Make sure to provide plenty of hiding places and a caging ‘furniture’ to allow climbing. Hiding places, which can be as simple as cardboard rolls from toilet paper, pieces of cardboard egg cartons, cork bark, driftwood, and small cardboard boxes.
Temperature – Cockroaches like to be warm, they should be kept at room temperature ( 75 to 85 degrees). If you plan to breed this specie, increasing the housing temperature - at around 88- 91 degrees - will increase reproductive rate, but also increase mortality. Try to keep the enclosure fairly moist but not saturated and not to wet. To much moisture can increase the growth of mold.
Water – Use a commercial waterer or water bowl; Use chlorine-free water and place stones in the bowl to prevent cockroaches from drowning; or a commercial non-toxic water gel. Change the water on a regular basis.

Feeding:
Hissing cockroaches are opportunistic feeders. They are omnivores feeding on just about anything.
Their diet usually consist of: fruits, vegetables, greens, dog/ cat food ( premium organic only), and bird pellets. Carrots seem to be a universal favorite. Remove uneaten food after a while to avoid spoliage.
Things to avoid feeding are junk foods, fried foods, high sugar foods, candy, and foods high in seasoning and salt. Make sure to offer food at all times to reduce cannibalism. If you are raising them as feeders for reptiles. It is suggested to gut load them 48 hrs prior to feeding.

Source(s):
GAIAEXOTICS
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
PETCO
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Sir nauubos ung hissers na galing sa inu. Crying or Very sad .nagcacannibalize sila..my nakita kc akong balat ng hissers, kala ko pinagmoltan lang pero nung tiningnan ko buo pa ung ulo nia.hinanap ko din kung my bagong molt..wala akong nakita tapos nung binilang ko kumaunti sila.may pagkaen naman at tubig sila lagi.crushed dog food ang binibigay ko.naglalagay din ako ng vegetables..ung dog food ay pinapaltan ko kada 3days..anu po kaya ang dahilan ng pagkacannibalize nila?maluwag naman ang enclosure at marami ding air holes.may hide sila na egg carton.nasa madilim sila na lugar..help po.
Back to top Go down
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 3:56 pm

ktae11 wrote:
Sir nauubos ung hissers na galing sa inu. Crying or Very sad .nagcacannibalize sila..my nakita kc akong balat ng hissers, kala ko pinagmoltan lang pero nung tiningnan ko buo pa ung ulo nia.hinanap ko din kung my bagong molt..wala akong nakita tapos nung binilang ko kumaunti sila.may pagkaen naman at tubig sila lagi.crushed dog food ang binibigay ko.naglalagay din ako ng vegetables..ung dog food ay pinapaltan ko kada 3days..anu po kaya ang dahilan ng pagkacannibalize nila?maluwag naman ang enclosure at marami ding air holes.may hide sila na egg carton.nasa madilim sila na lugar..help po.

territorial yung mga male na hissers. gaano kalaki yung enclosure mo? ska yung setup mo ng tubigan?
Back to top Go down
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Quote :
How much humidity is too little?
When the air is too dry (excessively low humidity), Hissers have problems with molting. Nymph clutches are reduced in number and often do not live for long after being born. At about the 3rd or 4th molt, juveniles are reduced in number again because of the difficulty in molting. Due to the prolonged time it takes the juveniles to molt, they are weakened and so become vulnerable to cannibalism.
The male hissers seem, in ultra low humidity, to become unusually aggressive with each other and I have observed them snacking on nymphs and killing females and juveniles that enter their territory. Gravid females have a particularly bad time during times of low humidity. Many abort their nymphs and appear to have little or no interest in making more. Female hissers die in increased numbers when the humidity level is too low. If you observe any of the signs and symptoms in this section, increased humidity may be the answer to the problem.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

possible humidity problem.. san mo ba nilagay yung enclosure mo?
Back to top Go down
sen jen
PEP
Staff

PEP  Staff
sen jen

Male
Location San Antonio, Las Pinas

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm

drinks + 1 bro Arvin .. very informative talaga to.... . applause
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Arvin wrote:
ktae11 wrote:

territorial yung mga male na hissers. gaano kalaki yung enclosure mo? ska yung setup mo ng tubigan?

sir ang enclo ay plastic bin, 8.5" x 6" x 5" ang dimensions..ung tubig naman ay nasa lalagyan ng pang-bake ng puto..may bato sa loob..eto po mga pics, pasensya na po kung madilim, hnd na ako gumamit ng flash kc bka mastress ang mga hissers.

Arvin wrote:
Quote :
How much humidity is too little?
When the air is too dry (excessively low humidity), Hissers have problems with molting. Nymph clutches are reduced in number and often do not live for long after being born. At about the 3rd or 4th molt, juveniles are reduced in number again because of the difficulty in molting. Due to the prolonged time it takes the juveniles to molt, they are weakened and so become vulnerable to cannibalism.
The male hissers seem, in ultra low humidity, to become unusually aggressive with each other and I have observed them snacking on nymphs and killing females and juveniles that enter their territory. Gravid females have a particularly bad time during times of low humidity. Many abort their nymphs and appear to have little or no interest in making more. Female hissers die in increased numbers when the humidity level is too low. If you observe any of the signs and symptoms in this section, increased humidity may be the answer to the problem.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

possible humidity problem.. san mo ba nilagay yung enclosure mo?

sir sa itaas ng aparador namen nakalagay.malapit na sa kisame. 2ft below ng kisame.. dun ko nilagay para mainit para mabilis dn mag evaporate ung tubig na inumin nila..ililipat ko na lang sa mas malaking lalagyan.sa glass enclosure, ang dimension ay 8" x 10" x 16"..salamat sir..lalakihan ko na lng ung area ng water dish para mas mataas ang rate of evaporation..salamat po..update ko na lang ulit kayo.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Arvin wrote:
Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

nice enclosure sir..simple lang pero okay na okay sa hissers.madali pa linisin..ang laki pala ng bin niyan.anung dimensions po na yan? upload ko ung pics ng bago kong enclosure sir..salamat po. cheers
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm

eto po ung new enclosure para sa hissers ko..

Back to top Go down
Arvin
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
Arvin

Male
Location Caloocan

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 am

ktae11 wrote:
eto po ung new enclosure para sa hissers ko..

wow! anlaki na nyan.. glass pala gamit mo. nakakaakyat yan ng glass ah.
thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:08 pm

mas malaki po ung enclosure nio..medyo stable na ata ung humidity..di na sila nabawasan ulit. cheers
Back to top Go down
ktae11
ktae11

Male
Location batangas city

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

sir nagbreed na ung hissers ko..pinabayaan ko lang.every week ko na lang chinecheck ung tubig at pagkaen.pagtingin ko kanina my mga nymphs na.. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
rchrdson21

Male
Location Cabanatuan City

PostSubject: Just have this cute hissers   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks sa thread na ito, kakabili ko lang ngmga hissers kanina.. at least may mga basic akong natutunan dito. Thanks po ulit!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)   Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Caresheet: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa)
Page 1 of 1