Exotic Pet Owners Community

HomeExotic RealmSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*** Buy @ our Premium Members Petshop *** Early Bird's Feeders Shop / Norin's Lucky Gecko / Suave Dude Shop / Tattoo's Shop<-- ***
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸Welcome to Philippine Exotic Pets°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos

Go down 
+2
KILLEDCULTURE
Biologist88
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male
Location Las Piñas / Valenzuela City

leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos Empty
PostSubject: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:44 am

I'm planning to buy and to take care of a leopard gecko. I did my research on everything one has to know about leopard geckos. I'm planning to buy the normal morph, since I'm just starting. I'm also planning to put the leopard gecko inside a glass tank (for display) instead of a tupperware.

My questions are:
1. I want to light up the tank during the whole night (around 6pm to 6am). If I place a lamp (light) above the enclosure (which will serve to warm up one side of the enclosure), do I still need to place a heat pad to create a temperature gradient?
2. What time during the night is the best time to feed a leopard gecko?
3. How will I know that the leopard gecko has already been tamed? (I read that leopard geckos need to be handled for a few minutes everyday for them to be familiar with their owners after approximately 1 week of acclimatization)

Thank you everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
KILLEDCULTURE
Grand Pet Master
Grand Pet Master
KILLEDCULTURE

Male
Location MANILA

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Hintayin mo yung mga Leo Gex Maniacs! Sila sasagot dyan Arrow
Back to top Go down
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 am

Oo nga eh.. I'm waiting po.. whistling) Thanks everyone.. whistling)
Back to top Go down
emmilione
emmilione

Male
Location Alabang/Laguna

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am

I will try to answer your questions.
I might be wrong so some may correct me. Very Happy

1. They really dont need light. They are or there are some who are sensitive to lights(albino). If you really want to put one, try to use the blue or red colored bulb.
You can also use that in heating one side of the tank so no need for heat pad.

2.There's no specific time for feeding your geckos. I usually feed mine around 8pm during weekdays and anytime during weekends.

3.Usually, hatchlings are skittish and doesn't want to be handled and are easily stressed. But as you have read, they'll get used to it with a few minutes of handling regularly. You'll know if they're tamed if they are at ease when you handle them and don't jump and move that much.

Hope this helps a bit. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 5:24 pm

So heating one side of the enclosure is really important? Ok I will follow what you said, but instead, I will put low intensity lighting in the form of an incandescent light with a low wattage. In this way, photosensitivity won't be a problem and viewing would also be pleasing as well.

Thank you emmilione for a very sensible reply to my questions, they're really helpful. Smile I'm excited to have my own leopard gecko.

If anyone has any more reply regarding my questions, I'll gladly read them too. Smile Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
reptileden
reptileden

Male
Location quezon city

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Biologist88 wrote:
I'm planning to buy and to take care of a leopard gecko. I did my research on everything one has to know about leopard geckos. I'm planning to buy the normal morph, since I'm just starting. I'm also planning to put the leopard gecko inside a glass tank (for display) instead of a tupperware.

My questions are:
1. I want to light up the tank during the whole night (around 6pm to 6am). If I place a lamp (light) above the enclosure (which will serve to warm up one side of the enclosure), do I still need to place a heat pad to create a temperature gradient?
3. How will I know that the leopard gecko has already been tamed? (I read that leopard geckos need to be handled for a few minutes everyday for them to be familiar with their owners after approximately 1 week of acclimatization)

I'm not an expert and has only two years of experience in LG keeping but i'll try to answer your question.

LG's doesn't need light. in fact, LG's are sensitive to light specially the albinos. if you want to put a lighting system in your tank, make it a dim one preferably red colored light and put a hide were your LG will stay. heat mats are also not needed except if you live in a cold area.(this is by experience only and in my own opinion.)glass tanks are good if you want a decorative set up for your LG ( i prefer this one too Smile ) problem with this set up is, glass tanks does'nt hold humidity better than plastic tubs and might be a problem with shedding LGs. just put wet moss or simply tissue paper inside the hide to remove this problem. Dont use sand as a substrate specially if you will start with a hatchling LG. news paper or tissue will do or anything that your LG cant swallow. Lgs lick everytime and might get impacted with sand. there is really no "feeding time" for an LG. they will eat whenever they like even in day time. just put feeding and water dish inside your tank. not to low and not to high. water dish should not be too deep to avoid drowning. feeding dish should not be to low to avoid your feeders from escaping. hatchling LGs are the nippy ones. the bite doesnt hurt though Smile . start handling your LG after 2 to 3 days after you bought it. avoid handling the tail, again, specially hatchlings and the wiggelry ones.Good luck! hope i answered your questions somehow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Thank you reptileden! I was thinking of the same thing, not to put heating pads anymore because our everyday air temperature is already warm. The feeding time is actually just a curious question.. LOL.. But thanks for your replies, I appreciate them a lot,, especially coming from experienced people like yourselves. Smile
Back to top Go down
darth_ron
darth_ron

Male
Location navotas city

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 am

Biologist88 wrote:

My questions are:

try ko lang sumagot sir hehehe! newbie lang din me like you...

answer:

1. i think stress full sa kanila yung light specially sa gabi... nocturnal animals po sila...

2. for me... ill just put the feeders in the dish... bahala na kumuha yung LG sa dish when they feel need na nila kumain...

3. for me, as much as possible ag sila masyado hawakan specially kung hatchling palang para ma iwasan ma stress sila at worst case mag drop tail... pag malaki na sila pwede na silang hawakas... pero sa case ko ndi ko pa din sila amsyadong hinahwakan...

try to join our group in FB... Leopard Gecko Maniacs. thanks! happy gecko keeping sir...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darthronflores
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 am

Wow! Yung third statement makes a lot of sense to me.. Hehe.. Thanks darth ron.. Sige i'll check out your fb group.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gigo
Gigo

Male
Location Makati/ Las Piñas

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:53 am

agreed to what reptileden said

they don't need light unlike breaded dragons
feeding is anytime they want to basta tambakan mo lang
tamed sila pag hindi sila masyadong magalaw na pag hinawakan mo. sakin kasi nasa aquarium sila at nasa kwarto ko so we both see each other kaya nakapandagdag siguro ng taming process
Back to top Go down
Biologist88
Biologist88

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am

Sa kwarto komdin ilalagay eh, sana same lang din yung effect nun sa akin hehe.. Maraming salamat Gigo, i'll be keeping that in mind.. Smile
Back to top Go down
darth_ron
darth_ron

Male
Location navotas city

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 am

Biologist88 wrote:
Wow! Yung third statement makes a lot of sense to me.. Hehe.. Thanks darth ron.. Sige i'll check out your fb group.. Very Happy

happy gecko keeping...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/darthronflores
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos   leopard - Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inquiry regarding Leopard Geckos
Page 1 of 1